'Focal Length' crop mode

catcher

Aaron, I don't use a previsualization App (I tried several none resulted as effective as expected). Right now I only

remember Lens Agent, but it is actually focused on movie formats.

The Apps I currently use for planning my landscape photography are PhotoPills, TPE (The Photographers Ephemeris),

Photo Transit, and Theodolite. Photo Transit has an interesting previsualization tool based on Google Maps' Street View,

as long as it is available for the place you are visiting. Worth taking a look if you are interested in landscape photography.

<p>TPE is wonderful for visualizing light angles at a shooting site at various times of the day. The mobile app is particularly good when you can go to the site before actually shooting, to plan, and you can predict the angle of the light on your main subject.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Hey David and Robin,</p>

<p>Sorry to reopen an old thread (wound?) but I thought it would be nice to point out that you're both right, just under different assumptions. Bob once wrote a seminal piece on this topic, and it lives right here on photo.net: <a href="/learn/optics/dofdigital/">Depth of Field and the Small-Sensor Digital Cameras</a></p>

<p>I came to this thread because I have been getting to know the Sony A7s, coming from a 6D and 5D mkIII. I really like the Sony's in-camera crop mode for the compositional reasons that OP Aaron and Marcus point out. Although many Canon EF-S lenses are a danger to the mirror on full frame bodies, there are a few that aren't, and having this crop in Live View would remove a lot of distraction in this setup.</p>

<p>Arguably you can still tear into me for using those lenses on nice bodies.</p>