Selecting Frames in Vuescan

This morning I purchased Vuescan Pro (9.4.33) and am having trouble selecting and scanning full frames.

On a strip of three 6x6 transparencies loaded into my Nikon 9000ED scanner, I've only been able to get the first

frame scanned in full. Frames 2 and 3 always come out only partially scanned (chopped off in the middle), even though

the Frame number setting is set at "2" or "3".

In Nikon scan I could easily preview all the frames, or even without previewing them, highlight the one I wanted to

scan... Very easy. With Vuescan I've gone through every menu trying to figure out how to select a full frame that's not

the first one, but to no avail.

I'm also going to want to be able to select and scan 35mm frames from my Nikon IVED scanner with Vuescan.

I'd appreciate any help, and thanks in advance.

<p>At the bottom, if there's a More or Advanced button click it until there is no more More or Advanced. This gets you to the most settings that you can set.</p>

<p>On the Input tab set Batch Scan to On, or List, or Auto. Personally I usually go with List.</p>

<p>Go to the Crop tab. What do you have set for Multi-Crop? What do you have set for Crop Size (should be 6x6cm)?</p>

<p>If you get a good size for the first frame, and it's just the size for the second and third frames that need help then get your first frame set up to the size you want and check the All Frames box at the bottom of the list of adjustments. This will set the rest of the frames to the same size as the one that you're on.</p>

<p>If the placement of the scan is what's off try turning off Auto Offset on the Crop tab and move the crop boxes manually after your preview scan.</p>

<p>I don't have any experience with a 9000ED or IVED, but I do own an LS-2000. If you're referring to the SA-20 feeder or the like it actually works rather automatically usually.</p>

<p>If none of this makes sense or something just doesn't look like you think it should post a screenshot and ask again. There's plenty of VueScan users out there.</p>

Thanks Dan, I'll try that tonight.

I have an email reply from Ed, the owner of Vuescan.

He tells me to measure the distance from the start of one frame to the next frame

with a ruler with a millimeter scale, and enter the measurement into the "Input / Frame spacing"

option. Since spacing varies somewhat with exposed 120 film, that seems somewhat

primitive to me, but maybe it's not a big deal. I'll try that tonight as well. If it works, that's

the important thing.

<p>When I had a Nikon Coolscan IV what I would do is set it to ALL, do a preview which would move the motor drive as it previewed each frame, and when done you can step through the frames in the preview. When you hit Scan it would go back and suck them back through to scan. Sometime in the last few versions it seems to have changed, it does a full res preview and when you hit Save it just fires the images onto disk. You have to manually move the frame box as it's not smart enough to work out where the image is and where it isn't. I guess that is the downside of working with so many scanners, it's not optimised for each one like it could be. I personally don't know why when he keeps releasing version after version, but that's another story.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi, Ray. Have you had any success playing with the options?<br>

For the 9000ED you may try:<br>

- Set Crop | Preview area to Maximum<br />- Preview<br>

What does the preview show?<br>

What do the Multi Crop options show?<br>

Is 'All frames' checked?</p>

<p>For the IVED, I'd expect the process to be 'simpler' since it only does one frame at a time.</p>