Bronica Zenza ETRA Shutter Timer Issue

joel_klein3

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I have a Bronica Zenza ETRS. No matter what I do, the shutter sped will not change. It has a brand new battery, there is film in the camera, the lever on the lens is showing the RED T and I have tried it using multiple and single exposure. Any help would be greatly appreciated<br>

Thanks,<br>

Joel</p>

<p><em>"...the lever on the lens is showing the RED T and I have tried it using multiple and single exposure. Any help would be greatly appreciated"</em></p>

<p>I'm guessing that's your problem. Loosen the screw and slide the lever to cover up the "T."</p>

<p>Check the manual. It's online.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If your battery check light works, you've got sufficient juice in the battery.</p>

<p>You want the "A" showing to enable the shutter speed dial, <strong>not</strong> the "T." The early Bronica S lenses for the SQ series work the same way.</p>

<p>User manual for ETRS/ETRC, part 6 -</p>

<p>"Except for time exposures, always shift the time exposure lever so that <strong>"A"</strong> is visible on the lens barrel and keep it locked with the setscrew to prevent accidental movement."</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p> </p>

Hi folks

I guess I am a bit confused. When I set the speed dial for 8s as an example (which I assume is 8 seconds), the shutter

seems to fire at only one speed, not 8 seconds. The light is lit on battery check ( battery has 6.3 volts), I have tried both A

and T modes.

Is T modes oppose to hold open the shutter or used when setting speed to 8s for example?

Thanks

Joel

<p>If you've got the manual, read it. The "A/T" positioning is illustrated and explained, as Jim mentioned.</p>

<p>Have to ask if you're a first-time Bronica owner, Joel. They have leaf shutter lenses--very quiet by design. Try the mirror lock-up function and listen and look for time variances in set shutter speeds. "T" mode as set keeps the shutter open post release until the slider is moved to show the "A" setting, OK? THat's how you close the shutter in "T" mode. The shutter speed dial is disabled when "T" is exposed on the lens.</p>

Thanks CW,

I have read it cover to cover. No matter what I do, I never get for example when I try, 8 seconds or anything other than

what is a set speed. Yes first time Bronica user. I will check with a local guy I know this week and let you know what I

find out. Appreciate your help and patience.

Joel

<p>It looks to me that your camera needs professional help. Because the shutter is in the lens and the control mechanisms in the body the fault could be in either. The test Mr Watson indicates would help determine where the problem lies and so keep the repair bill down a bit. That said it is still possible that it would be cheaper to replace than repair although not without risk.</p>

<p>It seems that there's a lot of old-ish MF equipment about that is for sale cheaply but just not right. Your camera is at least 26 years old and will probably have seen fairly hard professional use early in its life. But at least it might then have been serviced regularly since people depended on it. Its likely that as soon as it dropped out of the pro market then the servicing and adjustment process ceased. If its new to you, is there a warranty, or even an assertion that it is functionally in good order? Any one you can go back to say "look this camera isn't at all right"? </p>

<p><em>"It se</em><em>ems that there's a lot of old-ish MF equipment about that is for sale cheaply but just not right."</em></p>

<p>Amen, David. I've been extremely lucky in finding NOS MF gear or buying from friends who bought new and babied their cameras and lenses. Unlike 5-8 years ago when pros and amateurs were selling under-used, often one-owner, MF gear, the market now is full of sketchy stuff that's nearly-dead or simply not fully functional.What makes matters worse is the difficulty in getting repairs on <em>any </em>film gear--new or old<em>. </em>I tell friends to buy the newest cameras they can afford. Those transformative CLAs often touted as all that's needed by sellers(and online opinion) to revive a relic are now harder to find, more expensive, and often not effective.</p>

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>Again thanks for all your ideas and inputs. Man do I feel foolish!! I took the camera to a friend of mine who has been repairing cameras for over 40 years and has done 1000s of Bronica Zenza cameras! He was at lunch and I left it on his bench. When I came back he said. "camera is fine, works perfectly!" I feel like a fool. Evidently when I set it on a speed such as 8 seconds, I was waiting to hear a shutter slap or mirror slap after the 8 seconds. What was happening, was when I set it for the time (for example) of 8s, and trip the shutter release, I would hear a slap but never realized that was the mirror moving out of the way and that the lens "leaf" diaphragm was open and then closed after 8 seconds or whatever time I set it for. He showed me how by looking at the shutter/leaf itself. Sorry for all you guys trouble and really appreciate the comments and suggestions. Funny as I had tried all of them prior to writing on the forum. Little did I know how quiet the lens shutter operation is. Again, thanks.<br>

Joel</p>

<p>Joel, Just a tip or two - when you check the operation of the shutter, look at the front of the lens to check the leaf shutter opening and closing. It's easy to get fooled by the operation of the somewhat noisier rear shutter in the camera body which operates at a constant speed.<br /> Incidentally, just because the battery test light operates, don't take it for granted that the battery is okay. I've had an instance where the battery was on the verge of failing, but still managed to operate the red test light. Checking the battery with a voltmeter only gives you the voltage off load, and may be different under working conditions when operating the shutter.<br /> You can ignore my advice - I've just read the previous post! I didn't read the last page - still, it's nice to know my guess was correct!</p>

<p>Hi David,</p>

<p>Not sure if you saw this last post I submitted that indeed it was operator error on my part. I thank you for your inputs which should also help others. Below I pasted my submittal. Also nice photo you posted! Where is that?:</p>

<p>Hi All,<br>

Again thanks for all your ideas and inputs. Man do I feel foolish!! I took the camera to a friend of mine who has been repairing cameras for over 40 years and has done 1000s of Bronica Zenza cameras! He was at lunch and I left it on his bench. When I came back he said. "camera is fine, works perfectly!" I feel like a fool. Evidently when I set it on a speed such as 8 seconds, I was waiting to hear a shutter slap or mirror slap after the 8 seconds. What was happening, was when I set it for the time (for example) of 8s, and trip the shutter release, I would hear a slap but never realized that was the mirror moving out of the way and that the lens "leaf" diaphragm was open and then closed after 8 seconds or whatever time I set it for. He showed me how by looking at the shutter/leaf itself. Sorry for all you guys trouble and really appreciate the comments and suggestions. Funny as I had tried all of them prior to writing on the forum. Little did I know how quiet the lens shutter operation is. Again, thanks.<br />Joel</p>