Motor M Fit Question

peterg

I just acquired a Motor M and find that it fits and works well on my

M6, but when I try to put it on my M4-P, after hooking it to the

bottom of the right side of the camera, it seems a hair to short to

close over the left side. I find this particularly puzzling because

the base plate of each of the cameras fits easily on the other.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, is there a fix

short of sending the motor back?

Well, according to Eastland's Leica M Compendium, the Winder-M should work on the M6, M4-P, and M4-2. It's supposed to be compatible. Eastland notes that some early M4-2 winders would not work on the M4-P; but the Winder-M, which I believe is what you are saying you have, ought to fit and work.

So the question is, is the winder out of spec, or is it your M4-P? Would it be possible to try another winder on your M4-P; or another M4-P on your winder--perhaps by stopping by a dealer that has them?

I had the identical problem and it stumped several Leica people, until the Leica Clinic last spring at Lisle-Kelco (Canadian distributor) when one of the reps from Germany solved the puzzle after about 15 minutes of intense scrutiny of the camera bottom. He asked for a razor blade and trimmed away a very tiny bit of the body covering on the side with the mounting stud (shutter side), and that cured the problem.

If you look closely at that side when you try to mount the motor you should be able to see where it is hanging up and with an Exacto knife be able to remove a bit of material to allow the motor to mount.