Servicing a D300

jenniferk

I believe it is time to send my camera for a cleaning and calibration. I've been getting more and more hunting and misfocused shots. This

started on my 85mm lens but is now happening regardless of which lens I use.

There are no local shops around me that offer this service. I will either need to drive for over an hour to drop off at a shop or pack and

send to Nikon, most likely the New York branch.

Any personal experiences with shops in Massachusetts? Places to go or avoid?

How long should I generally expect to be without my camera?

<p>DSLRs are more complicated to service. I would ship it to Nikon in Melville, Long Island for service.</p>

<p>An alternative a lot of members on this forum trust is Authorized Photo Service near Chicago: http://nikoncamerarepair.com/<br>

However, I would give them a call first and make sure that they can perform this service. Additionally, regardless of whom you have this repair, I would check prices. The D300 is now some $500?? or so in the used market. It may or may not be cost effective to spend money on repair.</p>

<p>Jennifer, check Nikon USA's repair page: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page<br /> Both Sanford and Authorized Photo Service are qualified to repair the D300. I would check cost and time first. My guess is that it'll be over $200 and should take a couple of weeks unless they need to wait for any parts. Given that the D300S was discontinued back in 2011, repair shouldn't be an issue for at least a few more years (usually roughly 10 years after discontinuation). Whether it is worthwhile to spend money on a fairly old DSLR is totally up to you to decide and obviously depends on how much money it is going to be.</p>

<p>I've used Sanford 3 times - once to repair the top LCD on a D70, and two more times to repair a 17-55mm after it had been dropped (twice!). They're great with their work, but they take FOREVER. I don't remember how long it took them to repair my D70, but one lens repair took 6 weeks, and the other took almost 4 MONTHS due to parts being on backorder. Still, they do quality work, and I trust them with my equipment. </p>

<p>If you don't need any parts ordered, I imagine it'd take about 4-6 weeks.</p>

I'll probably check with Sanford first, try to support local or in this case somewhat local. They are also on the Nikon

authorized site which is a huge plus.

I could swing a couple weeks without my camera body but longer than that and I would need a replacement. Been putting

things off since there is no true replacement. I didn't like the feel much of the d7000, it was a bit awkward. Also not

wanting to make the fx jump. The struggle continues :)

I'm pondering the idea of picking up a cheap d3200 to temporarily bridge my gap. Is that a completely absurd idea? I just

held one in the store and it was very toy like, tiny and light. The controls were very simple and basic. Shouldn't be too

difficult to figure out how to use. Wondering how a tiny camera would handle the size of a 70-200, the idea is a bit

intriguing! It also looks like the ISO is a bit lacking on the 3200 however the 2 events coming up shouldn't require low ISO.

This would also provide a second body around my house when this is all said and done. I have a teenager that has been

borrowing my camera more often.

I've searched a bit to see how this little camera handles big lenses but haven't found much. Mostly explaining certain

lenses that will not auto focus with this camera. Might have to get that little camera to just honor my curiosity!

<blockquote>

<p>I didn't like the feel much of the d7000, it was a bit awkward.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jennifer, if I were you, I would consider getting a D7100, but unfortunately, the D7100 is very similar in size as the D7000. Therefore, the chance is that you won't like the D7100 also. Moreover, to be on the safe side, I would wait two weeks until Photokina begins in mid September and make sure that there isn't something new that maybe a better fit for you than the D7100.</p>

<p>I don't think something in the D3000 class will work well with the 70-200mm, especially if we are talking about an f2.8. Those cameras are too small and the Multi-CAM 1000 AF module is weak.</p>

Dare to hope for a new release? I almost hate to get my hopes up!

I've never had the problem of not wanting a new camera! In the past it was always easy to upgrade but this has been a

problem the past few years! Of course other cameras would work and I would adjust but I've not been properly motivated

to upgrade.

Shun, what exactly would a weaker module effect?

The d3200 may still be in the future. Originally was thinking of it as a Christmas gift. I wonder though if my teenager would

want more of a sophisticated camera? She has used my camera (d300)often in low light situations at cheer comps and

indoor basketball games and has surprisingly adjusted iOS and shutter speed manually throughout. She might still try to

borrow my camera after having one of her own!

<p>The last time I had a lens serviced at Sanford, to replace a lens flange damaged in a drop, I paid $25 extra for priority service on a 17-35/2.8. It took two weeks to get the part. (This was a long time ago, maybe it was only a week for them to service it.) But then they told me they could fix it but there was a squeak. So I could have the lens back with the squeak or I could wait for them to get another part. Except the technician was going on vacation the next day so I'd have to wait until after the technician came back from vacation.<br /><br />I was not a happy camper. I would have had faster turn around if I had shipped it to <a href="http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/">Authorized Photo Service</a> in Morton Grove, Illinois where I've had prior good experiences. I figured I'd go local and save myself shipping. But two days shipping out, one day turn around on the repair, and two days shipping back and I'd have had had it back at the end of the week.</p>

<p>By the way, if the camera seems to be gradually hunting more, maybe it's only dust that has been accumulating on the autofocus sensor which is on the bottom of the mirror box. I haven't seen as much written about cleaning AF arrays, but perhaps blowing it out with a bulb blower with the usual precautions will fix your issue.</p>

Thanks Tom, your response is helpful. Your situation is what I'm most fearful of. A simple fix that becomes more involved

and ultimately taking more time! My instincts tell me to send for repair now before the holidays get closer but no time is

good when only having one body!

Also appreciate the clearing of the sensor!

<p>Tom, I am not sure what difficulty you run into, but I go to this page:<br>

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page<br>

and enter the D300 model number. It shows Sanford and APS are both authorized to fix the D300.</p>

<p>A D3200/D3300 use the Multi-CAM 1000 AF module. There is only one cross-type AF point. It is not going to work nearly as well as the D300 and D7100, especially under dim light.</p>

<p>I don't think Nikon is going to introduce a real successor to the D300. As I have said over and over, higher-end DX is history. The $1800 price point now belongs to lower-end FX. However, unless you are in a hurry, with Photokina less than two weeks away, it is prudent to wait a few more days to see whether anything new is interesting to you.</p>