Portrait in landscape. Shallow DOF. Nikon D3100

inni_pants

<p>Hi there. What's the widest angle lens that would have wide aperture for shallow depth of field? What I want is to to take portraits, but I also want a wide area of nature to be seen around them, and I still want the model to be more in focus than the rest of the nature. What would be the perfect lens for this task?</p>

<p>I'm using Nikon D3100</p>

<p>There is no native Nikon lens that will accomplish this task on your D3100, at least not all by itself. There is no lens that is wide enough with a fast enough aperture, and the small(er) sensor size of your camera works against you.</p>

<p>I would recommend using something like a 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.8 and shooting with something called the "Brenizer Method", also referred to as bokeh panoramas. It involves shooting multiple images and stitching in photoshop. It's not too hard, there are many tutorials out there.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Of course, you could use Iris Blur in Photoshop to simulate a shallow depth of field surrounding the subject. But beware of the distortion Kent mentioned - it can be quite severe depending on the focal length and construction of the lens. </p>