RZ67 Shutter Won't Recock Until Beeping?

ian_battaglia

<p>Hey everyone! So I returned my last RZ67 to KEH, and exchanged it for a new one in EX quality. I'm getting a new issue on this one, and I think I might know the problem. <br /><br />So the camera fires fine in mechanical mode. That has always worked. In the electronic mode, the camera seems to fire, but when I go to recock the shutter, the lever won't advance. I can manually advance the film using the knob on the film back, but the shutter lever won't budge. After about a minute, the camera makes a loud beep for about 10 seconds, which I've read is to trigger that the shutter has been open for too long. After that, the beeping stops, something clicks, and I can recock the shutter.<br /><br />What's wrong? What can I do to fix it? I just want to start taking photos, and I've had a terrible time trying to get a working camera and dealing with KEH. What do I do? </p>

<p>From the behaviour you describe, it sounds like you are (or at least the camera is) shooting in B mode. So the reason you can't cock the shutter is that it is still open. There is a 1 minute maximum time on B with the RZ67. This tallies with "After about a minute, the camera makes a loud beep for about 10 seconds,.....After that, the beeping stops, something clicks". That click is the shutter closing again.</p>

<p>Extract from the user manual (downloaded from the Mamiya-Leaf website):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When the Shutter Speed Dial is set to B, the<br />shutter will remain open as long as the Shutter<br />Release Button remains depressed. Since bulb<br />exposure is also controlled electronically, the<br />shutter will automatically close after approximately<br />one minute in order to prevent inadvertent<br />battery depletion. When using bulb, if the<br />Shutter Release Button is depressed for approximately<br />50 seconds, a warning buzzer will<br />sound. If pressure on the Release Button is<br />maintained, the buzzer will continue for about<br />10 seconds longer, after which the electricity<br />will be automatically extinguished and the shutter<br />will close. When desiring to take exposures<br />of longer than one minute, use time exposures.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>and what might be happening in your case:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When using bulb, if pressure is released from the<br />Shutter Release Button too quickly (before the mirror<br />completes its upward travel), the shutter may remain<br />open. To correct this situation, press the Shutter Release<br />Button once again, upon releasing pressure the<br />shutter will close. If you do not correct the situation<br />yourself. the buzzer will sound after approximately 50<br />seconds, 10 seconds the buzzer will stop and the<br />shutter close.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ian, this exact problem is happening to my rz67, and it's out of the blue. Worked fine last week this week went out to shoot with a model and complete disappointment.<br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>I own the 110 2.8, what I have noticed is that my camera body will fire and re-cock in electronic mode when the lens is removed from the body, but not when the lens is attached. Works in mechanical mode regardless if lens is attached or not. The camera does this regardless of shutter speed.</em></p>

<p>Makes me think it's the lens/electronic coupling.<br>

Also, on another blog someone has our exact problem with now TWO 110 2.8 and no problem with his other lenses... <br>

Never have I used a cable release on the camera. Although, I might try a cable release of a friends tonight and see if anything changes. Probably end up sending it to be repaired, or replace the lens.</p>

<p>Been absolutely loving this camera for months :-(</p>