Rollei B35 or 35

<p>Two ways to use automatic flash on a Canonet: obviously the guide number route (if the guide number is known) or if the flash has one or more auto settings just set the aperture and let the flash do the rest. Back to the guide number: usually that is listed in the specifications section of the instruction manual rather than on the flash. However, you could shoot a test roll of color print film and try exposing at the different guide number settings on the camera to see which gives the best results. Be sure to include a few available light shots at correct exposure so you can verify the film was processed and scanned properly. One caution on Canonet: I recall when I bought mine new around 1980 the instruction book warned about leaving it set on the guide number setting too long as it might drain the battery more quickly. Since I always used an auto flash on the recommended aperture I have no experience with the battery drain.</p>

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Since it's a leaf shutter the flash will sync at any speed. The choice of shutter speed here will determine how much ambient light influences the picture. Below 1/60 sec. you may get some ghost images if subject moves. I tend to use 1/125 second for most shots and go to 1/500 for outdoor fill flash. </p>

<p>And a nice feature that the Canonet has is that when the shutter release is partially depressed it locks in the exposure setting determined by the camera's meter. Great for taking a close-up reading of a back-lighted subject and then backing away to re-compose, focus, and take photo. The Konica rangefinders and other Canonet models also offer that feature. Looking forward to seeing your results from the Canonet.</p>

<p>Just waiting for the Canonet test roll to come back then I'll put anything decent up. I sent the film away this time to ensure no more mishaps with Snappy Snaps.</p>

<p>So I would say I've pretty much turned my back on digital and I'm film all the way now, apart from work stuff of course. I'm loving the Canonet, I just need to get used to the focusing, and the Rollei, I just need to get used to setting the meter. So all I need now is a point and shoot and I'm sorted:) I'm trying to decide which of these I should get - the Yashica T4/T5, Olympus mju ii, Konica Big Mini BM-201 or (if I can find some extra funds) the Contax T2.</p>

<p>Anyone have experience with any of these, or suggestions for other cameras? I'm looking for portability, a good lens, Autofocus and a reasonable price.</p>

<p>You might look for an Olympus Stylus Epic. It has a fixed focal length 35mm f 2.8 lens and is auto-everything. I've had one for nearly 10 years and am pleased with the quality. The Yashica T4 is very capable with a slightly slower f3.5 lens, but IIRC it has a right angle finder in addition to eye-level which is nice for candid shots or shots near ground level. The T4, at least in the USA is expensive.</p>

The Olympus Stylus Epic is the mju ii, I think they have a different name perhaps in the US. They definitely seem the best

value for money, the T4 is double the price but I do like its look and the Super Scope. The Konica BM-201 is the cheapest

and the T2 the most expensive, so I guess it comes down to funds and preference, as they all seem to do the job well.

<p>A few more options (older cameras). If you like the Super Scope, a much less expensive option is the Yashica T3. It has a Carl Zeiss 35 mm f2.8 lens and is rain resistant. It is bigger and takes a 6 volt lithium cell rather than the typical 3 volt. I bought one new in 1989 and it still works great. Also, look for the Konica A4. It was Konica's first compact AF auto-everything camera. I got one for Christmas in 1990. It has a 4 element 35mm f3.5 lens. It has a setting for close focus. If you want a wider view look for a Nikon Lite Touch. It is small. Has a 28 mm f3.5 lens. I don't see many of them listed on the used market, at least in the USA. Limited DX range for film- only can use ISO 100, 200, or 400.</p>

<p>Here are a couple of pictures from my first roll with the Canonet. Only a handful useable, mainly due to me getting used to the focusing, but really impressed with the camera. Think I'll use 200 film next time the sun's out though, not that that's very often in London, as some of them are quite grainy.</p>

<p>As for the point and shoot, I think I'd like aperture control with autofocus but not sure there are too many compacts out there. Any suggestions?</p><div>00ceb0-549173584.jpg.2c0c82a04d2c20b98d8779a4e59fb222.jpg</div>

<p>Good colors and sharpness, Dawn. The Minolta TC-1 is an AF compact that has aperture priority automation, but it is expensive. Another possibility that is cheap, but a bit bulky is the Olympus IS-30. It is a fixed lens autofocus SLR which has everything built in. The lens is a 28-110 f4.5 - 5.6. It has program and aperture priority automation and the shutter has a top speed of 1/2000 second. It is a favorite of mine when I go cycling. Even cheaper are the IS-10 and IS-20 which are slightly earlier versions with the same lens. It also has an exposure compensation dial that allows +/- up to 2 stops of exposure.</p>

Well, I've just sold a few DSLR lenses and I'm now thinking of going for a Contax G1. Bit of a swing but I had a go with

one yesterday and fell in love. It's a beautiful camera and the image quality is superb. Aperture priority and being able to

change lenses is also a major plus. I hope to get rid of my DSLR permenantly and just use the Fuji x100s for digital,

which I pretty much do already anyway. My old Canon 550d works wonderfully well for video so all bases are covered.

How about you guys, do you use digital or is it film all the way?

<p>Well, here in the Classic Cameras forum we use digital whenever we need a quick photo of our classic gear to show. :) <br /> I do use some digital for photos I need quickly like family or the occasional paying job. For fun it's mostly film. I mainly shoot black and white film since I have my own darkroom. <br /> There are two models of the Contax G series: The G1 takes 28, 45. and 90 mm lenses. The later G2 also accepts the 35mm f2, 21mm Biogon ultra wide angle, and the 35-70 zoom. There's even a 16mm. The G1 can be modified to take some of those lenses.</p>

<p>Yes, I had a look at the G2 but it's a bit bigger and heavier, the G1 fits perfectly. The price difference is pretty big too, especially when you're spending £300+ on lenses. I'm going for the 45 first I think, then possibly the 28. It's amazing how I can buy a body and one of the best lenses ever made, for the price of 3 DSLR lenses. Awesome!</p>

<p>I'm shooting production stills for a movie in a few weeks and plan to do the majority on film, hopefully with the Contax. Can't wait!</p>