least expensive camera with "fireworks mode"

jimiwo

<p>What is the current least expensive digital camera that has "fireworks mode"?<br>

If there was model that I could set up manually that would be even better but I am guessing a "point and shoot" style camera with the "fireworks mode" preset is my best bet.<br>

If anybody had a recommendation on buying used or older models so I can go even cheaper that would be great too!<br>

Thanks so much for any advice - I am glad to be back on photo.net - it has been a while for me !</p>

<p>The Fuji X-A1 has a "fireworks mode", but I haven't tried it. It's part of a scene mode that records JPEGs only, so it doesn't particularly suit the reasons I got the X-A1. But I have experimented with a few other X-A1 scene modes and they worked well.</p>

<p>It may not be the cheapest with this mode, but it's an excellent value in an APS-C sensor mirrorless model, with the very good 16-50 kit zoom.</p>

<p>Another alternative is to research the usual advice for getting good results for fireworks and program that into the custom mode spot that many digicams do offer. The X-A1 has one such custom programmable mode. Some digicams offer three or more such custom programmable modes.</p>

<p>How "cheap" do you want to go? As Lex has indicated, there are nice mirrorless APS-C cameras with that feature, but as I've only used the EOS-M (which has the feature) I can't really speak to any others. If you want to spend less money, most of the Canon PowerShot cameras have a "fireworks" mode. For about $399.00 (or less, shop around!) you can get the PowerShot SX50 HS which has that mode along with its crazy 24-1200mm lens (and surprisingly good IQ for a small sensor camera), or for $299-$329 you can get the PowerShot SX700 which also has it and has a 25-750mm lens in an easily pocketable body. Both of these also allow full manual control so you can input your own settings. These are just a couple of suggestions; there are many, <em>many</em> more as I'm sure you'll learn...</p>

<p>All you need is a camera with manual mode and a 'bulb' setting. Set manual focus at infinity, use ISO 100, f/11-16. Hold your hat in front of the lens. Press & hold down shutter button, removing and replacing hat when you like the pattern of light. Finally, release the button to close the shutter. That's the easy part. The hardest thing is framing the composition.</p>

<p>Robert - thanks for your advice. I wasn't clear in my inital post that the reason I want to go as cheap as possible is that I want to buy 15 cameras to create a bank of cameras to create little movies like this for a kids photo workshop<br>

I am pretty old school and at one time thought about buying used manual film cameras and setting them up exactly as you say. Maybe there is a digital camera from 5-10 years ago that I could buy cheap and still have the control you describe?</p>

Or, I am wondering if a camera like the OMD-EM1 could be set up in a time lapse mode and moved in an arc and then combined in post processing. I am sure there is one way to bone a chicken. This may be a great place to talk to someone in the video department. They are the innovators nowadays.