Hasselblad Waist Level Finder (new style) - unable to focus?

ola_tuvesson

<p>Hello,<br>

I recently picked up a "new style" waist level finder for my Hasselblad, but for some reason I am unable to get a sharp picture on the matte screen with it. The "old style" WLF that I have works perfectly, but with the new one the picture always remains out of focus. I'm thinking it might have a lens with a dioptre adjustment - I see it is replaceable - but there are no markings on it to indicate what that adjustment might be. How can I tell if this is the problem. and if so where can I find a "normal" lens for a "new style" WLF? I've tried searching but I don't know what the part is called! <br>

Many thanks, <br>

Ola</p>

<p>Hello Ola,</p>

<p>I would venture to say that it has the wrong diopter in it to meet the needs of your eyes. As you mentioned they are removable. The puzzling part is that "usually" the Hasselblad waist level finder replacement diopters will have a +1 or -2 or whatever they are ( if they are not neutral ) in one of the corners of the diopter. But perhaps yours is still a different strength than neutral and simply isn't marked.<br /><br />The only place to find a neutral strength replacement will most likely be on the used market at eBay or KEH or another camera store. I just looked at all those places for you and unfortunately not one of them had a neutral waist level finder diopter.<br /><br />But you can obviously keep checking. Ebay is most likely going to be your best bet.</p>

<p>Hi Ken,<br>

Many thanks for your helpful reply! Yes, it strikes me as odd that there are no markings on the removable part with the lens - I would have thought that unless it was "neutral" they would print something on it! I can't see what else it could be though; the hood itself is in great condition and it's certainly not "deformed" in any way that could explain the focussing problem. I haven't got it in front of me now, but IIRC the lens part is not flippable either - it will only fit one way up - so I don't think it's just that it's the wrong way around. Not good to hear that these are hard to find, I think I paid $50 for the hood :(</p>

<p>Ola it is called by several names. It is most often called the "Hasselblad Waist Level Finder Neutral Diopter."<br /><br />It is catalog #42331.<br /><br />But you may want to search the internet by entering these searches:<br /><br />Hasselblad 42331<br />Hasselblad Focusing Hood Neutral Diopter<br />Hasselblad 0 Waist Level Finder Diopter<br />Hasselblad Zero Diopter<br />Hasselblad 0 Waist Level Finder Diopter<br /><br />Or any variation of any of those words.</p>

<p>Here is a link which shows it as B&H photo sold it in the past:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/21200-REG/Hasselblad_42331_0_Zero_Diopter_for.html<br /><br />If you need anything else just let me know.<br /><br />blessings,<br />Ken</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi Ola,<br>

I am in the opposite position ;)<br>

I need a -1 and bought one a few days ago on the internet. Unfortunately the diopter in the box is a neutral one and not a -1 as stated on the outside of the box. So I have now two neutral ones.<br>

Do you already know which you have? Can we swap?<br />Do you want to get mine (it was quite cheap)?<br>

Cheers,<br />Mike</p>