D7100 lens mount strength with 80-200 ED

tony_fraley

<p>Having used this lens on my old D70, I've always been careful NOT to let the combo hang from my shoulder via a strap, but instead carried it by holding it with my hand cupped under the lens since there was always the concern that the lens weight would pull the mount off of the camera.<br>

The plan is to upgrade to the D7100 in the next couple of weeks, and since I've seen nothing about this particular combo, is this conceived stress something that I should be worried about with the new body? As much as I love this lens, it can take it's toll on the old elbow joint after a couple of hours of lugging around in this fashion, so the option of giving my arm an occasional break by just letting it hang off my shoulder would be a plus.<br>

And yeah, I DO have a good tripod and ballhead combo, but I don't always want to have to lug it around with me. I CAN, I just don't want to.</p>

<p>The original 80-200 f/2.8 AF didn't have a tripod foot at all. While I, too, would be inclined to support any 80-200 as much as possible, I think you should probably be okay letting it hang for a little while. The force on the mount is much less when the lens is hanging straight down than if you've got the camera clamped to be horizontal by the camera's tripod mount. Obviously, if you whack it into something, all bets are off. The 200 f/2 came with an explicit instruction not to lift it by the camera (which actually makes using its case a bit tricky if you like attaching the camera before taking the lens out). I don't think I've seen a similar instruction for the 80-200, so I'd hope it's not as critical.<br>

But please don't blame me if something does break!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there was always the concern that the lens weight would pull the mount off of the camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think your concern all along has been a bit too much. The mount is designed to take quite a lot, and the D70 was a sturdy body, the D7100 has a better construction. Which doesn't mean you do not have to take any care but frankly, I'd worry more about the stress on shoulder/neck carrying it than I would for the lens mount.<br>

Don't forget the body is designed to be mounted on this lens while you have it on your ballhead - under any angle. If the lensmount could be pulled out so easily, that would not be possible....</p>

<p>If you mount a 80-200mm/f2.8 on the D7100, hold the camera body with one hand and then swing your arm violently back and forth, you could put way too much stress on the lens mount. Just hanging the camera on a strap over your shoulder, there shouldn't be any problem.</p>

<p>When you capture, always support the lens either with a tripod or with your left hand. The weight of the lens is a complete non issue.</p>

<p>Tony.</p>

<p>I have been using the d7100 since it came out and it has spent a good deal of its life with a 17-55/2.8 hanging off of it. This lens is also a tank but despite the size of it I have had no sign that the mount has been damaged. More opinions might be important to be safe.</p>

<p>-O</p>

<p>On occasion (by accident), I have carried all of the weight of a 300/2.8 AFS(V1) on a D600 body without any apparent issues, but I would not want to make a regular habit of it.</p>

<p>Thinking about Ilkka's comment above, it probably would not be a bad idea to concoct a strap mount to the tripod mounting socket for long term carrying the camera around, if you have the version with tripod socket.</p>

<p>The 300mm/f2.8 is a totally different lens. That lens is several times as heavy as a 80-200mm/f2.8 or 70-200mm/f2.8. There are reasons that Nikon puts hooks on the 300mm/f2.8's barrel and supplies a strap. There is no such provision on any 70-200mm/f2.8.</p>

<p>You're worrying too much. I have a 70-200 2.8 on my D7000 pretty much every time I go out to shoot and it hangs over my shoulder just fine when I'm shooting with my other body and lens. Like Shun says, unless you get intentionally violent with spinning it around it will be just fine.<br /><br />Do be sure to use the tripod mount on the lens -- not the camera -- when mounting a large lens on a tripod. I have an F2 where the tripod socket was wrenched loose by mounting the camera to the tripod when using a 300/4.5. I knew better but wasn't thinking and lived to regret it.</p>

<p>Sorry it took me so long to get back and check for replies, but I do appreciate them. I feel a bit better about the strength of the lens mount now.<br>

That Black Rapid strap looks like something I could use. I'd imagine that would work perfectly with the lens collar on the 80-200, and then I wouldn't have to worry about the lens mount anyway. The only problem then would be having to remove the Really Right Stuff tripod plate I have on it now whenever I want to use it, but I can live with that.<br>

Much appreciated, folks. Now I just need the camera...</p>