Canon 6d vs Canon 70d

albert_goehler

<p>Hello i want camera that only for shooting video short films etc.Not for taking photos.I have 2 option and i can't decide it.Can you please share your thoughs<br>

1) Canon 6d + Tamron 28-75 f 2.8<br>

2) Canon 70d + Sigma 18-35 f 1.8 or Canon EF-S 17-55<br>

Which body and lens should i buy ? Only quality and sharpness is important for me,not other features.</p>

<p>Canon 6D is the better camera, but for strictly video, I'd go 70D with one of those lenses mentioned. I love the 17-55, but Sigma's probably the better lens (sharper, less distortion). Keep in mind the Sigma has no IS, if that's of value to you. 70D also has the flip out screen that the 6D does not, handy for video.</p>

<p>Yes i am thinking in that way too.Because i think tamron 28-75 is not the best lens for Canon 6d and my budget is limited...Btw IS or anthing like that is not important for me,i always use tripods.<br>

It is really difficult to choose between these two lens... :/</p>

<p>I own the 17-55 and it has to be stopped down 1 stop to get a really sharp image. Does a great job in all other aspects. I had a chance to play with the Sigma - build quality is amazing, smooth as butter, and sharp wide open. Painfully sharp down a stop. Wider aperture and less distortion, at the expensive of a smaller zoom range. I don't shoot much video, so maybe I'm not the best guy to answer. For weddings, I like the 17-55 on a crop body. For video, I would suspect the Sigma is the way to go.<br>

I did own the Tamron 28-75. It was serviceable but not impressive. Focus a tad slow, would hunt sometimes, and was soft wide open. I did used it for several years, but would not buy it again.</p>

<p>So, do you need the camera to focus for you, or are you doing all your work focusing manually? </p>

<p>If you are having the camera do any of the focusing, you'll want a lens other than the 28-75 - ie. one with USD, USM, or HSM (depending on brand) - such that you have FTM focusing.<br>

If you are doing ALL your focusing manually, I would try the lenses in person to get a feel for how smooth/damped the focus action is. This is one of those features that gets at most a footnote in the reviews, and is pretty subjective.</p>

<p>Frankly, for video duties, I highly doubt you'd see the difference between these guys (sharpness wise) in the 1080p you can shoot on these cameras. 'other features' are what differentiate these lenses in this role. Frankly, I'd advise you go w/ the 70D + 17-55/2.8 IS, kind of the best of all worlds, even though, personally I wouldn't limit myself to these lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with Eric: the 6D is a much better camera in most ways but the 70D is a little better choice for video due to the flip out LCD and movie servo mode.</p>

<p>Realize 70D video quality isn't better than the 6D, you merely get more video tweaks aimed at weekend video hobbyists. I use both cameras for stills and video and, if I had to choose between the two, I'd grab the 6D. Why? Audio quality is terrible on both cameras so you have to use an outboard audio recorder and mics. So the extra audio features of the 70D are a moot point since you have to sync with separate audio tracks in PP. The 70D biggie is the contrast focus and movie servo. Most videographers use MF but if you want to use AF while shooting video the 70D has the best in the business. The touch screen focus pulls work very well. Ultimately, I had to disable movie servo as it's too twitchy for me: a subject moves slightly and it quickly adjusts focus, ruining a quiet scene. MF stays pull until you need it.</p>

<p>If you plan to mainly use outboard audio and MF, you don't have to worry about focus noise or stepped motors. So any good lens in your fav range with a smooth MF ring will do. If you plan to use movie servo, stick to STM lenses: slower and smoother focus than USM and completely silent. I needed to shoot inside a small music ensemble so I used an EF-s 10-22 USM. Optically excellent lens but when I tried contrast focus the lens focused crazy fast and in such distinct steps it caused the video to shudder. The audio guide track had a high pitched laugh-like tremolo noise! What strange is you can't hear it while shooting. It exists only on the audio track. So MF with a follow focus ring for the 10-22 (or prefocus for static subjects).</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>(Eric +2) The flip out LCD is a real plus, or you could use a small external flat screen monitor (Tablet with HDMI in) tethered HDMI to the 6D HDMI output, never tried it personally, but thought about it every time I shot video. Getting real sharp focus manually by viewing a 3 inch screen can sometimes be less than ideal. Trying to shoot hand held video with my 7D and 6D has been a little awkward at times, especially on bright sunny days outside making the LCD screen hard to see.</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>I don't know a lot about these cameras' video capabilities, but I'll add a caution that aliasing (moire patterns) could become a "quality" issue with either camera. I believe the 5D Mk III is currently the gold standard in this respect.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your replies.I am considering 6d of course but if i buy it,i havent got any money to buy good zoom lens.So i am considering Canon 70d.But i am not sure about which of these lens should i buy.What do you think? By the way i will not use auto focus in video mode...<br>

- Canon 17-55 f 2.8<br>

-Sigma 18-35 f 1.8<br>

Because i have max 1500 USD for one lens i have to choose between these two.</p>

<p>I bought the 70D Sigma 18-35 for video and stills. IQ is stellar with good sharpness and bokeh.<br /> For video the 70D blows away my 5D mk2 for usability. I shoot a lot of live music in dark environments with sometimes poor lighting. <br />The servo A/F is excellent. I can almost forget about focusing with the 70D and Sig 18-35. it will follow focus really well and you can change the point of focus using the tilt screen. The only issue I have had is that red stage lights can affect focus which is a problem with many a/f systems.<br /> I just shot a one day music festival on Saturday 21st june; using a/f on the 70d. I have looked through 2 hours of video and could only find 1 example where the 70Ds a/f was not 100%.<br /> A DSLR in its naked form is an ergonomic disaster if you want to create professional looking videos. Support is essential: a tripod, Hoodman, or magic rig will make a huge difference in terms of usability and stability.<br /> Using an external mic will improve audio quality. I use a Rode mic which gives surprisingly good results; but only if you set the audio levels manually (the 70D has a meter so you can check).<br /><br /> The zoom action on Sigma is so smooth compared to my 24-105 F4L. I'd like a longer range zoom but the F1.8 constant aperture is so useful in the dark. <br /><br />The 70D is so good for video that my 5D Mk2 is only used for still photography now.<br />There is not any doubt that the Sig 18-35 is a great lens which outclasses many Canon L series lenses in terms of build and IQ.</p>