Nikon D5100 "Lens Not Attached"..please help!

jameshaskins

<p>Hello!<br>

<br />A year and a half ago I bought a Nikon D5100 to use only for video. I've only used it a handful of times, but a couple month ago it fell out of my backpack and took a hit. For the light marks I noticed there is a sign on the body and the 18-55 lens that the camera came with. <br>

<br />When I turn on my camera it says "lens not attached" and it won't allow me to do anything. The only option is to put it on manual. Once it's on manual the mirror will "click" and I can shoot video or take photos, but it still won't let me change the aperture. <br>

I have tried my camera on different lenses both old and new, and I have tried my lenses on different d5100 bodies. The lenses always work, so the problem is the camera body. </p>

<p>Does anyone know how to fix this? I have tried cleaning all the circuits and done all that stuff, but it won't work. I took it to Nikon and they want $150! </p>

<p>Any ideas?! Thanks and your help is very much appreciated!</p>

<p>James</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone know how to fix this? ... I took it to Nikon and they want $150!<br>

Any ideas?!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If this were me I would consider two options:<br>

1. Pay the $150 and let Nikon fix it; or<br>

2. Buy another body (and likely upgrade to a D5200, a substantially better camera IMHO, in the process).</p>

<p> </p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>Sounds a bit like the lever on the body that controls the aperture is broken, or bent completely out of shape. If it's bent, possibly you can bent it back, but whether that's going to be a reliable solution.... not really. That camera is still easily worth it to be fixed properly, and $150 actually sounds quite reasonable to me.</p>

<p>Note: I'm not 100% certain of this 'diagnose', and that I'm not 100% sure whether the aperture lever is actually used to verify whether a lens is present in modes other than M. So, for what it's worth...</p>

<p>Hi James - Just because it says lens not attached does not mean it is not a serious failure. You did all the basics and that did not fix the problem. Recommendations:<br>

1) Do not pay the $150 to get it fixed. Go to the Nikon refurbished page and buy the same lens already fixed for $99: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Store/Refurbished-Cameras.page#!ptc_s:LENS<br>

2) By a zipper for you backpack :)</p>

<p>I'm thinking maybe i'll just pay the 150 and then try to sell it. I see that prices for this camera are still decent.<br>

John, good point! I'm always super careful though! :) However, the problem is the camera body and not the lens.<br>

Thanks again!</p>