Where to repair SB-600 - local vs. out of town

Ali_334

<p>I pulled out my SB-600 after extended not using it (didn't have batteries in it during storage) and it won't turn on. <br /> I am wondering if I should find a <strong>local</strong> repair shop as I always had my repairs done, <br /> or whether the Internet has changed things and it is better (price, service, etc) to ship it to some online repair shop. <br /> If that is the case, please kindly recommend any outfits you can recommend.<br>

<br /> But if tradition still holds, and local is better, I am in LA area (Marina del Rey) in case someone here can recommend a local outfit instead.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help.</p>

<p>Most common cause of non-operational portable flashes IME is dirty/corroded battery contacts. Before sending it off for an expensive repair Ali, try giving the contacts a good clean and the old trick of "rolling" the batteries around in the compartment against the contacts. My money says that'll fix the problem. Even if the contacts look shiny there may still be some oxidation on them.</p>

<p>I recently bought an SD-8 at a bargain price as a non-worker. The battery contacts showed some obvious corrosion, and after cleaning that away with "Brasso" metal polish, it works just fine. Recycle time from a full power discharge is about 2 seconds with my old SB-25s.</p>

<p>If "local" was a small town with no repair shop, I'd say send it off to Nikon or a major independent repair shop. But since local is LA, you can send it to Nikon and your choice of local repair shops. But first try Rodeo's suggestion. If it does need repair, you need to go to an actual camera repair shop not just a camera store. With a few exceptions, camera stores don't necessarily do repairs themselves. Most these days ship it off to someone else.</p>

<p>Just adding that if rolling the batts doesn't clean contacts, try using the eraser end of a pencil to rub the contacts.</p>

<p>As for where to repair - I would get a price to overhaul/fix the SB600. You might find that the cost to repair makes no sense when you can buy a used one. That's the problem with a lot of electronic gear. It is often only a small amount more to just buy a new one. KEH currently has a used one for $200. A new 700 is roughly $325. Compare cost to repair to cost to replace and make the call.</p>

<p>First of all, Nikon in the Los Angeles area moved again about two years ago. They are no longer in El Segundo, which is very close to Marina Del Ray. They are now on Wilshire: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ay51</p>

<p>I would shine a flashlight into the battery compartment and check for corrosion and bad contacts. If cleaning those contacts (deep inside the compartment, maybe hard to reach) doesn't fix the problem, I would get a repair estimate to determine whether it is worthwhile to pay for repair or get a replacement.</p>

<p>Electronic flashes have high-voltage circuits inside. I wouldn't recommend opening a flash up as you can get a serious shock that, in some rare cases, can be fatal. Leave any repair to professionals.</p>

<p>Just as a question, are your batteries <em>definitely</em> either fully charged rechargeables or fresh/new?</p>

<p>I've had the maddening situation of all 4 coming off the charger, saying fully charged and then doing absolutely <em>nothing</em> when put into my SB-800 at an important event. One turned out to be duff and miss-reported it's status. I had 2 full sets of spares, did a full re-load and all was well. Checked the 'old' set later and found the dead one.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hello and thank you for all the great responses.<br>

I did try rolling the batteries and also used pencil eraser. Finally it started. However, it keeps going out. When I press the battery door really hard, it starts again and then goes out again unpredictably. IT definitely has something to do with the battery compartment.<br>

I am using brand new batteries. Not rechargeables. <br>

I used a screwdriver to pull up the contacts inside the compartment. <br>

Here's a video I shot of how it behaves. Note how pushing the battery compartment door turns it on again. http://youtu.be/ozzZxJpXF0g It's almost as if the batteries are too short! I have used other brands of batteries with no better results. <br>

Any help would be much appreciated. I dread having to spend money on repair or drop several hundred dollars on another flash. </p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Hello, I just wanted to thank you for all responses. I ended up taking it to a Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City http://www.yelp.com/biz/steves-camera-service-center-culver-city and got it cleaned for $45 and it works now. It could have been worse if leakage had reached further in. I couldn't be happier because wanted to avoid buying another NIkon flash which I think are overpriced considering their flimsy construction.<br>

Steve told me not ever use Duracell. He recommends EverReady lithium batteries and swears they last much longer and also don't leak. </p>