D7100 dual card, just curious ...

ficarelli

<p>I just curious about how to use two cards. I understand perfectly what says the manual, is simple and obvious, but the manual says that with only one card use slot 1. I shoot only RAW and always as overflow.<br>

<br />The other day I took off the card from slot 1 and forgot to put it back, grabbed the camera showing the number of pictures on top display and took some pictures, everything worked fine with only one card on slot 2.<br>

<br />Later I did some test with just one card on slot 2, taking just RAW and overflow, RAW+backup, and RAW on slot 1 and JPG on slot 2. It wrote everything on slot 2 just fine, obvious with no overflow, no backup but RAW + JPG both on slot 2.<br /><br />I know the role of the second slot but I like it because, as happened before, now I always keep one SD on slot 2 in case I need a quick shot and forget to put back the memory. Also I can "save" slot life (if it makes sense) switching between the two slots.<br /><br />Had anybody noticed that ? Is it really necessary to use only slot 1 with just one SD memory ?<br /><br /></p>

<p>I just want to make clear that is just a technical curiosity, the only practical situation is, as when I notice for the first time, when my cat is on a funny position and just grab the camera and luckily I could take the picture because there was a SD on slot 2, or something like that.<br /><br />But I continue to test ... I notice that when set to RAW+JPG and inserted 2 SD with different sizes it calculate the remaining picture based on how many RAW will fit on the smaller SD, doesn't matter which slot, smart camera :) but, when I set to overflow with the 2 cards (doesn't matter the size) it shows the remaining on slot 1, does not sum and show the total ... not so smart :) I never filled a card, I don't know what will show when it starts writing on the second card.<br /><br /></p>

Every time I visit this page I see an ad from 42nd Street Photo for a D7100 body at the too good to be true price of $850.

But 42nd Street isn't even on the Nikon authorized dealer list.

http://cdn-6.nikon-cdn.com/where-to-buy/nikon_img_auth_dealers.pdf

And their web site makes no mention that these are grey market goods without USA warranties. I think they are being

deliberately misleading.

Couldn't photo.net have some kind of advertising standards so it doesn't gain from this seemingly unethical behavior?

This maybe belongs in another forum, but alerting other people who might see the same ad is worth while too.