Minolta Dimage Dual Scan III

<p>You have Autofocus, and automatic advance of film carrier. No IR dust detection, meaning you need to ensure that the film is clean (get a rubber air blower, Giotto or similar). Don't expect too much from "software dust removal". Should be clearly superior to a flatbed scanner for 35mm, although for posting pictures on the web, the difference is not significant; for producing prints 8x10" (or 18x24cm) and up, it does make a difference.<br>

Do yourself a favor: get vuescan pro. Learning curve a bit steep, worth the effort. </p>

<p>I have the Scan Dual IV, which is the successor model. Both use USB connections, making them much more convenient to use with relatively modern computers than the (original) Scan Dual and Scan Dual II models. As others have said, the biggest downside of these scanners is the lack of Digital ICE or similar technology. How much different that makes depends on the condition and dustiness of your film.</p>

<p>My Scan Dual IV is nominally 3200 ppi; I also have an Epson 3200 flatbed that is also nominally 3200 ppi. The SD IV produces much better results (but cannot scan medium- and large-format film, of course). The SD IV is somewhat higher resolution than your SD III (3200 ppi versus 2820 ppi), but yours should be fine for most purposes that 35mm film is good for.</p>

<p>At least by what I know of U.S. eBay prices, the $150 price seems okay (but not great) if it includes both film holders (35mm strip and 2x2-inch mounted slides) and the original power supply, and is in very good condition. Supposedly the original USB cables are low-quality and cause trouble; I have the original USB cable but use another, more robust cable.</p>

It's worth mentioning that if mine is any indication

Vuescan doesn't properly calibrate the sensor resulting

in noise stripes on color negatives. However Vuescan

still has its own low-level USB driver that you might

need just to get the original software working on any

supported version of Windows.