Which Epson Paper for What Purpose?

I recently acquired my Epson 2200 and I cannot tell you enough about

how pleased I am with the results. In order to improve the results

further, I am trying to understand the characteristics of the

following papers and their suitability for various applications.

1. Premium Glossy Photo Paper

2. Premium Semi-Glossy Photo Paper

3. Enhanced Matte Paper

4. Premium Luster Paper.

5. Velvet Paper

6. Watercolor Paper

I am mainly interested in the Epson papers, although this discussion

can be generalized towards Glossy, Semi-Glossy, Luster, Matte,

Watercolor and Fine Art papers.The sample prints from Epson seem to

give some clues in this direction.

What I would like to know specifically is the suitability of each of

the above papers for different applications, such as Nature,

Landscapes, Fashion, Portraits, Cityscapes, etc. What factors do I

need to consider to make the right decision. IS there a website that

disusses this topic?

Thanks,

Kumar

Generally the higher the gloss of the paper the higher the subjective contrast and color saturation of the image. The more matte based papers (watercolor, matte and velvet) also diffuse digital artifacts (both mechanical and electronic) much better than the glossy/semi gloss materials.

Epson Premium luster is a near dead-ringer for E-surface Kodak portrait color papers. I wish I could use this paper more, but me having a dye based Epson it's not a good match.

What you should do is make a test image which is a composite of good skin tones, high saturated subjects, and maybe some B/W subject matter. Print it on all the papers and see what you like best since much to paper choice is subjective. I still feel the strength of ink-jet printers is writing to the more art based papers and not to high gloss materials, which still cant quite match the dynamics glossy RA-4 photographs.

Can anybody make comments about Epson 'Enhanced' matte vs standard heavyweight matte? While I like HWM as a general paper, it gets *destroyed* by the Hahnemuhle and Somerset line, and Epson is rumored to be trying to keep more of this market share. Their papers are certainly much cheaper.

Hi Scott,

I too love the look and "feel" of Epson's Premium Lustre (I mostly print portraits). I am using the Photo 870 with dye inks with great success. Are you reluctant to use dye + Premium Lustre due to its lack of archival stability, or are the results you are getting not esthetically satisfactory?

Just curious, as I respect your opionion on all film and paper matters.

Best,

I use Matt paper for most of my printing, but that�s based on taste. In general, if it�s an image that I believe in, I will make prints on different papers and go with what looks best to my eye. I don�t care about what the data sheets say, I just use my eye.

There are some images that benefit from the cool sheen of the Premium Luster paper, and of course it�s the only choice for using roll paper, which I often do. I�ve never found an image that I felt looked best on the watercolor paper.

Choice of paper has to be closely linked to personal taste and the type of image involved. I don�t see how anyone could advise another person except in the most general way. I have worked hard to develop a personal style and look to my work and have tried to follow my own path wherever possible. To me some landscape images look better on one type of paper and others look best on a different paper. Trust your eye.

Cheers,

Joe Stephenson