Tripods for Canon 1DX + EF 600mm f4 + 1.4x TC

nirvan_a

<p>A light tripod for a very heavy lens and camera - that is not going to work. It would help if you could indicate more precisely the weight you're willing to cope with, and the budget (for legs and head); and whether or not you considered something like the Wimberley Sidekick as well, or whether you really only want a ballhead.</p>

<p>I am to support my Canon 1DX + EF 600mm f4 + 1.4x TC. Its just that I want it lighter as it will be difficult carrying all these equipments as I have to walk around long distance in search of the animals and birds. I preferred ball head to sidekick as I want to pack all these into my luggage while traveling by air. And of course there are also limits of baggage u can carry without paying the extra baggage fees.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>the difference between a BH55 ballhead and a full Wimberley is 2lb vs 3.15lb so it's not that much considering. No one I know would recommend a light tripod and ballhead for a setup such as yours. Your going to end up taking all that effort and $$ and compromise it.</p>

<p>Hauling around that kind of rig is a big deal.</p>

<p>Nirvan, looking at your posting history, you seem to look for an impossible solution - so, forgive me to be blunt, but you will just have to make choices. You cannot have it all, and you will have to let go of something.</p>

<p>If you want to use a 600 f/4 with a heavy pro-body on a tripod, then you need a heavy solid tripod (just imagine a too light tripod flopping over with your $12k lens on it). Otherwise, the tripod makes no sense at all. Otherwise: handholding. Meaning training, exercise, grow proper muscles and then maybe it's doable. I think I'd probably prefer a heavier backpack above handholding it - but that is also a matter of growing some muscles in other places (but when my back is OK, I do not mind hiking with a heavy backpack). <br>

If you want to carry little weight and still shoot wildlife, or if handholding is just not possible: you will have to settle for less glorious gear - slower lenses that reach 400 or maybe 500mm maybe, maybe a smaller camera body. Tamron 150-600 looks promising, for example.</p>

<p>But choosing one of the heaviest lenses with the heaviest body and next saving weight on the tripod just makes no sense.</p>

<p>IMHO, a ball head for the stated combo, in particular for birding, is not a very good idea. A swing-type head, such as a full Wimberley is the way to go.</p>

<p>Another option is what was suggested to you: a video head. It needs to be a pretty solid one, otherwise you camera/lens-combo will not be held/contolled properly. The Sachtler FSB 8 that was suggested to you looks like it might be usable for this application, but remember that it is neither small, nor light (2.15 kg) and it is also not cheap. A video head might be a good choice if you do video as well as stills. If you are only into stills, I would not recommend a video head.</p>

<p>As for the tripod itself: your combo screams for the most solid set of legs that you can travel with. Investing in a lightweight compromise will very likely be a waste of money: sooner or later you will buy a heavier (and more solid) tripod anyway...</p>

<p>Nirvan, to go with the particular set up you have, I have experince with and have owned the following set up and could recommend these components.<br>

Gitzo series 5 carbon fiber with saftey plate mounted underneath the base plate. (Newer Series 5 pods don't need a saftey plate)<br>

Don't mess with a center column.<br>

Ball type heads Arca Swiss B2 now called the Z2 (they are actually pan tilt heads in the form of a very large ball heads) I have the Arca Swiss B1 head and Kirk BH1 heads that are consided full sized heads but for your set up I would go larger.<br>

Gimbel Head Wimberly Gimbal Tripod Head (I have a Wimberly side kick as well but I believe that it is probably too small for your set up.)<br>

Like everyone has said before spend the money you need for a good support system otherwise your system will not reach its full potential.<br>

I have gotten used to seeing people with long lenses in the range of 500 and up using a series 1 Gitzo and I can only scratch my head since advice on proper tripod support has been written in books for over 20 years. There are no secrets regarding proper equipment and everyone from Art Wolfe to Galen Rowell and John Shaw have discussed the subject since there have been long lenses to tote around.<br>

Good hunting</p>

<p>Edward Woods,<br>

So it will be better if I have a 5542 for the tripod and z2 or (Arc Swiss Monoball Z1 sp) for the ball head. I was suggested a Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II but was wondering whether it will come in my suitcase while traveling so was considering the options. Z2 seems a good option. And what do u say about about Sachtler FSB 8 ?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Have a look here:<a href="/bboard/%20https:/store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=20%20"> https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=20 </a>and here: <a href="https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=274">https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=274</a>; fairly sure Arthur Morris knows what he is talking about when it comes to gear for bird photography. Ball head definitely a bad idea for a combo like yours; especially for birds in flight photography (even a gimbal head can be problematic and hand-holding (or possibly a monopod) the only alternative(s)).</p>

Nirvan, so these are recommendations based on my personal experience. If I am going to just use a long lens a

Wimberley gimbal is the best way to go but I am certain that everyone has there own opinion. The Wimberley Is a great

head and easier to use with a long lens though the Arca Swiss B2 I also own has separate pan and tilt and has some

versatility and for me is a single set up solution for land scape and has separate pan and tilt like a Wimberley for birds. I

don't think that owning a Wimberley will ever embarrass you. No doubt Arthur Morris has forgotten more than I will ever

know? You will have to try to measure your suit case and the head tripod combination to see if they fit. Both set ups are

very large. Good luck.

<p>Don't let your suitcase size make the decision! With the caliber of equipment you are talking about, buy a case that can accommodate the proper tripod/head and pay the extra baggage fees. Buying an insufficient tripod is the greatest waste of time, money, and fun ever.</p>