Rolleiflex lens delamination - f3.5 planar

mervyn_wilmington

<p>I've just bought a Rolleiflex with the f3.5 planar. It is a 'distance' transaction and the camera should be with me tomorrow.</p>

<p>It is at bargain price because according to the (very reputable) dealer there is very slight delamination at the edge of the taking lens. It is on 14 days approval and 6 months warranty. Hence, other than cost of return postage, I am at no risk. Apart from some rubbing of the paintwork, I am told the camera is otherwise in good condition and is complete with case and lens hood.</p>

<p>One of my Hasselblad lenses has very slight edge delamination, but it has never appeared to make any difference to image quality. However, I thought it worth asking forum members whether they had experience of this problem on a planar and the consequences.</p>

<p>Generally it is called lens separation. The old glue between the elements is failing. You won't see anything from it. However it is progressive and will eventually get worse. It might take years. There are people who can repair it by taking it apart and regluing it. Kind of spendy but I had it done to a 2.8F Planar some years ago. I had a nice schneider enlarging lens with separation that I used for about 12 years till the separation made it's way to the center of the lens.</p>