Panasonic DMW MS2 shotgun microphone

frode_inge_helland

<p>I bought this shotgun to use on my E-M1 and LS-14.<br />The takeup pattern can be adjuste from omnidirectional to unidirectional. But it turned out tha it could only be operated throught the GH3 menus. I can't find this options in the E-1 menus.<br>

So, has anybody came across a software that permits me to adjust the microphone without thr GH3?<br>

Any tricks up the sleeve?</p>

I will take a shot at this. I checked the Busch guide to the E-M1. He suggests that a shotgun microphone is designed primarily to be uni directional, purpose being to avoid motor noise and ambient sounds that might interfere with the subject being recorded.

The answer, - in your cae- and unfortunately adds exp[ense, might be to seek out a more sophisticated microphone from companies like Rode, Audio- Technica, or Shure, which will likely have a switch on the body to change the mic pattern. Or a way to spread the sound field. Or, you can get fancier, and buy a portable mixer along with the better microphone which will allow fancier effects, and monitoring of the sound as you record. I decided to go with a TASCAM recorder, which may be larger and more complex. I don't know if the Panasonic is a cardoid microphone but I expect it is designed to keep side sounds muffled. No, I see nothing in the book on using the Panasonic microphone with the Olympus. But I do know that Oly sells microphones and recorders. Give them an e mail.......good luck with your movie making. Someone may have devised a better solution, hope so.....

PS: I just found that my Panasonic Viera 5 year old TV will NOT recognize video clip from E-M1 but will play back video from my GH2. So much for compatibility AVHD so called standards. Aloha, gs

Olympus's mini microphone SEMA-1 which has a cable and power from the camera ( I am not fond of everything being powered from the camera, battery life is short enough as is when shooting video I think you agree, sir)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674887-REG/Olympus_147592_SEMA_1_Microphone_Adapter_Set.html

<p>Thank you Gerry,<br>

the main purpose is to record bird sounds. <br />So - if the microphone is primarily unidirectional, I am quite happy. I intended to buy a Røde, but the "dead cat" was nearly as expensive. The Panasonic was said to be better om long distance. So I went for it. <br />I have microphones for E-M1, both a battery powered shotgun and the SEMA1 and ME51S, but none suited for bird recordings.<br />Thank you very much for so being helpful.<br /><br />Frode Inge Helland.<br>

Ålesund, Norway.</p>

<h1> </h1>

You can make your own mic boom from a long pole or paint roller extension. As for the dead cat wind muffler for nature sounds, I just hunt and skin a chubby raccoon in the marshes near here, or even a mongoose pelt will do..... Just let it dry over a mesquite fire for several days before you have it sewn to size. Do it yourself is the beauty of this hobby and saves tons of dollars and kroners or euros......gs

<p>Racoons does not exist here. But I have considered buying long haired musk ox yarn and get knitted a "dead cat". Bur so far the one I got seems ok so far, even in moderate wind gusts.<br />Yesterday I went to record bird songs. But they were hard to spot, so identification may be tricky.<br />The Panasonic mic worked quite fine and I got several crisp and clear bird recordings from about 40 - 150 feet away, in a valley about ten miles north of Ålesund, where I live.</p><div>00cfZG-549351684.JPG.7d32c23458343fa2b6cc44e9dd3e40c0.JPG</div>

Frode, my GH2 has the micro 2.5mm input wheras the EM-1 has the more conventional 3.5mm. i am thinking the GH3 probably has the more standard 3.5mm hole. Well it gets confusing. Also, some mics need am vol level reduction chip to not overload the camera input. I presume the Pana mic has this or a switch to adjust the load. I bought and aftermarket cable which has both the L pad or whetever this reducer is called as well as a spare output wire for a headset to monitor sound as it actually is recoreded. It is a TASCAM DR 40. DR 40 has two positions for the stereo microphones. As to wind devices, I see that one of our mail order houses offers one as a promotion now. Normally they charge 30 USD. Ever notice how one purchase leads to another? Now I ( I hate the dead cat appellation, why not dead musk ox?)

PS Am in a state of trying to figure out how to label and store the different cables.. as well as IPAD cables...the standard ones and the goofy mulit use proprietary ones from OLympus. I easily forget stuff which I have carefully stored. I need a secretary!

Such is life, friend.....gs