NiSi ultra thin MC CPL Filter 95mm, Multi Coated Circular Polarizer Lens Filter

western_isles

<p>I have just purchased a Bronica SQ 40mm lens and am looking for a Polariser for it. Came across the "NiSi ultra thin MC CPL Filter 95mm, Multi Coated Circular Polarizer Lens Filter" for about £60 which struck me as reasonable. Does anyone have any experience of using this filter? Concerns are vignetting and possible colour shifts on film. <br /><br>

Also looking at the Century Lee 95 wide angle adapter but that is £100+. Anyone have any experience with the Century adapter?<br /><br>

</p>

<p>Frank, you may have thought of this already, and if so apologies, but the 40mm is a very wide lens and shows a lot of sky in both directions. Use of a polariser with a lens this wide will result in a lot of differential polarisation across the frame. I also used this lens and never used a polariser with it for that reason. Its a while since I sold my Bronica stuff so my memory may not be perfect , but isn't there a "bulge" in the centre of the lens and if so might this interfere with the use of an ultra-thin mount? Whereas a thicker mount may vignette? </p>

<p>I always found that a ND grad was a better way, with this lens of darkening/saturating a blue sky</p>

<p>I use Hitech that are even more restrictive. So the only way I could make it work was to use Blu-Tac or equivalent to temporarily hold the 100mm filter in place . At least I didn't have to worry about vignetting that way since the filter was as close as I could get it to the front of the lens. Of course its a whole lot easier if you are using a tripod all the time as I did. Also don't leave the Blu-Tac on too long otherwise it gets hard to remove from lens barrel and filter alike.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Frank, a standard mount polariser works okay with the 40mm lens with no vignetting. You just need to be careful to ensure even polarsation across the frame - something which is not always possible, depending on the angle of the sun etc.<br>

A neutral grad is okay, but finding one which uses a holder that doesn't vignette won't be easy. David's suggestion of using Blu-Tac is probably more practical - if a little messy.</p>

<p>David thanks for the input. I have just acquired a Lee push on filter holder which looks OK so far. I did try holding a Heliopan 105mm Polariser if front and it was OK as far as I could see on the polaroid. However, ran out of polaroid and will have to await film processing.</p>

<p>Using the Lee push on and polariser I used the lens stop down button and could not discern any vignetting. Have to wait on the processed film. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Update - Today used a Lee 100mm push on filter with a polariser and a single filter slot. There is some vignetting but it is not too bad and can be sorted using software/cropping.</p>

<p>I have scanned the polaroid's for anyone who is interested. The first is a straight use of the lee filter with two filter slots and a polariser. The second is a single filter slot and polariser. The basic idea was just to check that the lee filter would not be a complete disaster which I don't think it is. Will require either cropping or clone tool but that is not a problem as I use E6 film almost exclusively. As you can see the polaroid is not great quality but it served its purpose.</p><div>00clwZ-550530084.thumb.jpg.6c60229a976a3c3eb47f8249c59c0b8a.jpg</div>