85mm f1.2 II rubberized coating is melting

jose_castro1

<p>I have had my lens for about 6 years now and always had it stored in a dry cabinet when not is use (in tropical climate where i reside). The past year, i've noticed the rubberized coating around the body has started to get soft and most recently, sticky residue would be left on my fingers.<br>

Has anyone else had this problem? What would be the best way to fix the issue?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I've never held this lens, but I presume you mean the rubber grip on the focus ring? If so, you can call Canon (1-800-OK-CANON) to order a replacement grip. It can be removed and replaced like a stiff rubber band.</p>

<p>If there's a rubberized grip material on the rest of the lens that's rotting... well... I guess that would be a question for Canon. Unfortunately once rubber rots, there's no un-rotting it.</p>

<p>FAIW, mosquito repellant (especially DEET) will quickly destroy many types of rubber, plastic, and paint, so you should never handle photographic gear with even traces of it on your hands or face. In my experience, you should only apply it to your clothing, legs, and upper arms. Although sunscreen isn't nearly as bad, it can still degrade these materials over time, depending on the formulation.</p>

<p>Thanks, but it's really School of Hard Knocks stuff. I used to do my research in mosquito-infested swamps and bogs. I would hose myself down with Off every night, and before long, I realized some of my equipment was starting to melt, as were parts of the interior of my car! Wicked stuff, that DEET! ;-)</p>