shooting 3.25x4.25 in 4x5?

tim_emeritz

<p>Kodak certainly made reducing inserts for holding 3-1/4" by 4-1/4" plates in 4x5 plate holders. <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-25-x-4-25-Reducers-Adapter-4x5-View-Glass-Plate-Holder-Eastman-Kodak-USED-/350888655074?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item51b297f8e2">Here's a set on eBay</a>, but they are definitely too thick for film holders. If you scored some 4x5 plate holders, these reducers, and some 3-1/4" by 4-1/4" film sheaths (adapt film for use in plate holders), you could do it. But it doesn't look like a recipe for precision focus.</p>

<p>I understand you want to use a smaller film holder on a 4x5" back.<br /> As I suppose it will be a temporary, "short life" kind of usage, I think you can made your own adapter:</p>

<ol>

<li>Use a sheet of rigid thin material in the size of the 4x5" holder (e.g. a fiberglass/cupper blank plate, like those made for electrical printed circuits), and cut a centered hole in the size of the desired format (a Dremel or alike tool will work better than a scroll saw).</li>

<li>Glue (Loctite) three blocks (wood) to keep the new holder in the right place, notice that they should be slightly thinner than the holder. This way the pressure plate of the camera`s back will lock the new holder.</li>

<li>>>If the ground glass fall in touch with the new holder, there is a risk of breaking it, so you should made another piece to avoid this<< Another straight blank plate will work. Only the GG`holding frame should be in contact with the holder.</li>

<li>The new holder&adapter will take the film/glass plate to a different position, so you should measure this distance; from the original`s 4x5" sheet film plane to the new film/glass plate plane (emulsion side).</li>

<li>After that, simply focus us¡ng the GG as usual, and increase the rail extension by the mentioned distance when using the adapter. A reasonable magnification and lens` aperture will help to get sharp images, as you know there is a "depth of field" in the focus plane as well.</li>

</ol>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>I have a 3.25 x 4.25 reducing back made by Burke & James and stamped Eastman 33A. The Eastman 33A was only made in 5x7 format. It is wood, in great cosmetic condition and fully functional (ie you can insert a 3.25x4.25 film holder with ease) and has a gridded ground glass. <br>

I assume (but cannot guarantee) that a skilled craftsman could modify this to fit a wooden 4x5 camera or perhaps even a metal camera. Again, no guarantees.<br>

Since I do not own a 33A and doubt I ever will this is of no use to me. I am willing to give it away for a $20 donation to our local Habitat for Humanity affiliate. <br>

If anyone is interested please contact me. I can send photos if you wish to see it.<br>

Ron Gratz (rkgratz@mtu.edu)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Does anyone know if there are reducing backs or adapters for 3.25x4.25 sheet film for 4x5 backs?"<br>

I dont get the point, isnt 3 1/4x 4 1/4 a dead format? <br>

Most people try to modifiy 3 1/4x 4 1/4 cameras so the can use 4x5 film holders.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Excuse Me !!!</em></strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>I dont get the point, isnt 3 1/4x 4 1/4 a dead format?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope... just some deadheads that don't use it... ;-)<br>

... The creativity of large format is endless... and wonderful... lenses, camera's .. DYI methods and ... you name it...</p>

<p>What I like about the 3x4 over my 4x5 is that it is lighter, smaller... easier to shoot without a tripod out in the field, because of these reasons... especially when using the focus screen, with a different lens, and you still get a large negative.</p>

<p>Tim, get creative. I've made a U shaped 'gap' filler, that takes up the difference, between the 4x5 space the 3x4 fill holder space. Same thickness as a 4x5 holder, and it sits within the 4x5 back, centered up & down, but offset .75" from the left, so that the film holder 'ledge', will sit in its slot, and maintain light tight.<br>

I think the filler on the back side of this contraption, was a full rectangular piece, that kept the narrower 3x4 at the correct focus point, forward, while giving rigidness to the contraption. It's light tight and worked.<br>

Originally made it to test a lens, that needed the longer bellows of the 4x5, with a particular film, that I had only in 3x4, at the time.<br>

Use it off and on, when testing film, and don't want to use a full sheet of 4x5.. but that's another creative story.<br>

Ha.. have fun. </p>

<p>This format is clearly not dead but may be dying. I note that neither Freestyle nor B&H offer that film size anymore - they did a few years ago and fortunately I stocked up. <br>

I do still shoot it as an alternative to my larger 4x5 system using an ancient (1930's) Zeiss-Ikon Universal Jewel made for 9x12 cm film. I have an adapter that allows me to use modern (Lisco, etc) 3.25x4.25) sheet film holders. <br>

Ron Gratz</p>

<p>Ronald:<br>

True... have one box left, of Efke, but you can special order from Illford, using their B&W in the next month or so, or cut it as needed, as I do, and have in the past. It's not difficult.<br>

I also have an old 1930 Zeiss, with film holders, that I cut 9x12 for. Didn't know an adapter existed. Would love to know more about the adapter you have from Lisco.. Could you give me some specified info or point me in the right direction, for such an 3x4 adapter?<br>

I apologize to the OP, if were getting off the track here.. but it is 3x4... ;-) <br>

Thanks..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Nope... just some deadheads that don't use it... ;-)"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Excuse my ignorance, I thought its an abandoned format, therefor the cameras are so cheap or converted. I have problems getting my 5x7 and 12x16 film, but maybe the market in the US is better than in Europe.</p>

<p>The 3x4 format has been abandoned by film manufacturers, including the US, except Illford, where once a year you can special order this size, amongst other sizes. The time for that is coming up soon.<br>

But just because the film manufacturers have abandoned 3x4, does not mean, that 3x4 shooters have to. Been cutting my 3x4 from different film manufacturers, for a couple of years now, from 4x5. Not at all difficult, and that within a dark bag. </p>

<p>I also have an old 1930 Zeiss, with film holders, that I cut 9x12 for. Didn't know an adapter existed. Would love to know more about the adapter you have from Lisco.. Could you give me some specified info or point me in the right direction, for such an 3x4 adapter?<br>

Peter,<br>

The adapter is a metal 3.24x4.25 back that slides into the grooves of old European style 9x12 folders. The one I have does not have a manufacturer's name on it. I bought it on ebay many years ago. Lisco is the name of the sheet film holders I have that fit this back. I am attaching 2 photos of the back, one showing it partially inserted into the grooves of my 9x12 Jewel. I have also used this on my 9x12 Zeiss-Ikon Maximar, Ideal and Trona. <br>

Ron<br>

</p><div>00cWs6-547347784.thumb.jpg.f99d678f28f5807eef5b6680864dcf4e.jpg</div>

<p>A year ago I bought a 4x5 Korona view camera with an old uncoated 7" Dagor lens for $200 from a local Craigslist ad. It is missing the extension; the bellows are light-tight, but somewhat stiff. When I took it home I realized it had a 3.25x4.25 reducing back on it! I have some old 3x4 holders and outdated Efke PL100 3x4 film, but have not used it yet.<br>

<br />I'd like to find a 4x5 back for it, but have not found one yet. Any idea if the wooden 4x5 B&J field camera back can be easily fitted to the Korona?<br>

<br />Thanks. --Leigh.</p>