Question about 5D Mark III with 24-70 F/2.8 and Bag

brad_herman1

<p>All;<br>

This seems like a silly question, but here goes anyway. <br>

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and the new Canon 24-70 F/2.8L Model II (the latest model). This is my main lens and the combo weighs in at > than 4lbs.<br>

This lens has a locking mechanism, which (I believe locks the zoom). With several of my photo bags, the best way to put the camera in is 'lens-down', so basically, all of the weight is on the front of the lens. <br>

Some bags have dividers with shoulders that sort of 'dog-ear' out, which places some of the weight on the dividers.<br>

Do you think that I could potentially do harm to the lens, i.e focusing helicals or other? I mean, I can also mount my 50mm F/1.4 USM which will allow the the camera to sit on the bottom of the bag, but I would only have to remove it to put the 24-70mm lens on.<br>

What do you guys think?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Brad</p>

<p>Your question isn't "silly" at all; but I suspect that the additional weight of the camera on the lens in any properly padded bag wouldn't make that much difference from being in there on its own, especially if the camera body were above it anyhow.<br>

Worry is the interest paid by those who borrow trouble.</p>

<p>Don't be like those Medieval librarians who used to chain the books to the wall to keep them safe. Use the lens and enjoy it.</p>

<p>[Although you might buy camera/lens insurance just in case.] :)</p>

<p>Probably won't do any harm but if you are in doubt why not err on the side of caution. Bags are relatively inexpensive when you are talking about $4-5k of equipment. Why not just get the bag that will satisfy your concerns. I use this lens on my 6D, great lens, fantastic sharpness, contrast and color. </p>

<p>The Canon 24-70 F/2.8L Model II is a pretty robust lens, and you should be fine. </p>

<p>However, certain lenses, most notably the Canon 85mm F/1.2L (Mark I), can be damaged if pressure is applied to the front of the lens while the front element is extended. This particular lens does not focus internally and needs power from the camera in order to focus as the Mark I did not have USM. It doesn't switch between manual or autofocus when powered down either. Care must be taken to always fully retract this type of lens before stowing it in a bag. Alternately, the lens hood can be left attached in order to protect the front element if the bag allows for it. </p>

<p>Your model, however, has USM, focuses internally and can be zoomed in and out even without power, so should be fine when placed in a bag.</p>

<p>This is a valid concern, as JDM and Gil have said.</p>

<p>One way around it is to use Lowepro Toploader bags, which I find to be extremely handy when I'm carrying just a single body and zoom. The camera and lens sits in the bag vertically, lens down, when being carried, but lie horizonatally when set down. They are also the most comfortable bags I have used while walking or (lightly) hiking.</p>

<p>The Toploaders come in three different lengths, depending on the length of the lens you're using, and in two different styles: one which accomodates bodies without grips (Zoom AW), and one which accomodates them with grips (Pro AW).</p>

<p>I don't think it is a silly question at all. It is something that concerned me after heavy use of a 24-105 in a lens-down position in a Lowpro Toploader while backpacking, and subsequent issue with focus with the lens. (I have no proof of a connection...)</p>

<p>I do carry cameras in the lens-down position in some cases - including the Lowepro bag mentioned above - but I'm careful to arrange the dividers so that they will support the camera body and reduce or eliminate weight on the front of the lens.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I've always suspended my cameras by the body, lens hanging down, in holster-style bags that are a bit generous in length. I use the longest Lowepro Toploader bag and use the extra length sometimes to pocket a small prime in the bottom.</p>

<p>I think Devon makes a good point that the fragility of a lens' mechanism depends on whether it focuses internally. For instance, my 70-200/4IS is like a solid pipe, and I think it can hold up the weight of the camera just fine. But I wouldn't dare stand the weight of my camera on my 70-300 IS (non-L) for fear of damaging the focusing mechanism.</p>

<p>I went to storing my camera horizontally in he bag, after a bustrip through Malaysia, with the camera and lens stored vertically.<br>

I don't remember dropping the bag but when arriving, I found the filterglas broken and the filter stuck to the lens. The lens was stuck to the housing.<br>

I got the filter off with a plyer and after trying cautiously to unscrew the lens by hand a lot of times, I got desperate and used a lot of force and got the lens off. It was somehow turned further in than normal.</p>

<p>The lens and camera are still working today.</p>

<p>I don't think the lens will suffer any damage in the bag, however, make sure you put the lens cap on the lens. In a rush or when you can't find the lens cap you might let it just hang in the bag. If any part of the case rubs the lens it can damage if its subjected to vibration like in a car. I had this happen with a decent pair of sunglasses. </p>