Variable ND filter and step up/down rings

RickOpiekun

<p>Hi Folks.<br /> I am considering the purchase of a variable ND filter (Tiffen). My problem, like that of many, is that I have an assortment of lenses with different diameters. So, should I purchase the largest size variable ND filter and get a set of step down rings or do I purchase the smallest and step up? I want to minimize vignetting as much as possible, but I know it may be unavoidable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Happy holidays to all!<br /> Rick</p>

<p>Obviously if you want to avoid vignetting, you should buy the right one with step-down rings.</p>

<p>Are you using DX, maybe? If so, check that vignetting is not an issue with "reasonable" small filters or hoods... so its probably that you don`t need to buy the largest diameter.</p>

<p>Anyway, are you buying for a project, or just fitting out your bag? IMHO, having everything prepared for any extreme situation, it`s simply unrealistic. To have a bunch of 82mm filters to be mostly used with 52mm lenses is a real pain. You could need at least two rings, and one for every different size...</p>

<p>Also, a big filter is annoying and will block the hood... it could be an issue if you just want to shoot at wide apertures in a shiny day walk.</p>

<p>I don`t know about you and your photography and your gear, but I can tell you that my largest lens have a 95mm thread, but most of my filters are 72mm... mostly used for LF lenses. I have some in 77mm for the Nikkor zooms, and loads of 52-62mm filters for small format cameras.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> should I purchase the largest size variable ND filter and get a set of step down rings </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. What's your biggest diameter lens? 77mm maybe?....and a set of downers should be affordable</p>

<blockquote>

<p>or do I purchase the smallest and step up?<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. It will vignette really badly.....really soon!</p>

<p>With an "adapted" filter of large size, remember that you won't be able to use a lens hood.</p>

<p>Please, this is an archived site, so multiple posts of the same topic are something you agreed not to do when you signed up here.</p>