D700 Problem

nicole_schneider

<p>I have a D700 and it is going into DX mode (I think). I shoot RAW and my files are only 5mp instead of the 12.1. I use only full frame lenses (I don't own any DX). I checked to make sure that my setting was on FX and the auto DX (for when using DX lenses), was turned off. Not sure what I should do. Suggestions?</p>

<p>I don't shoot a D700 but I suggest you check all of your file settings to make sure they are set to max size. Maybe you can use the reset buttons to reset to factory settings. Just check the manual to see how it is done. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Excuse me for going over the basics first, because I would like to eliminate the most obvious issues.</p>

<p>First of all, how do you know that your D700 has entered the DX crop mode? What is the size of the RAW NEF files you are getting, in terms of pixel diamensions? In DX crop, tt should be 2784x1848 pixels, which is indeed 5.1MP.</p>

<p>Go to the Shooting Menu -> Image Area -> Choose image area. That should be set to FX.</p>

<p>In the early days of Nikon FX, namely around 2007, 2008, some old Sigma lenses had it wrong so that Sigma FX lenses would trigger the auto DX crop while Sigma DX lenses wouldn't.</p><div>00cUxX-546927784.jpg.af92fea05b482688bad63b0adb54d682.jpg</div>

<p>Nicole, could you tell us more information about the image files you are getting? What makes you think that your D700 is capturing in the DX mode? In the viewfinder, do you see a boarder outline showing that it is only capturing the DX cropped frame?</p>

<p>Nicole, I could well be wrong but I think you are confusing the amount of storage space the file takes with its physical dimensions in pixels. I suggest that you give us two pieces of information. In the widows folder where you have some of your images Right Mouse click on one image without opening it and select Properties. In the first panel you will see Size: Tell us what that is in KB. In the third panel (third tab) called Details you will see Dimensions. Tell us what that says. A D700 image in FX mode is 3872x2592.</p>