Iceland in February?

havanai

<p>There seem to be more and more photo-trips to Iceland in February, and they seem to focus on the Northern Lights and landscapes. Apparently the Gulfstream goes that far north and it's not as cold as one would imagine. But it still seems crazy, though the vistas and ice formations look spectacular.<br>

Has anyone gone to Iceland in the middle of winter? With whom? And how was it?<br>

Kurt</p>

<p>I lived in Iceland for about 18 months. I lived in Keflavik, not far from the capital of Reykjavik. The winters were not as cold as many places in the U.S. The biggest issue with photographing the northern lights was that the sky is cloudy most of the time. Even when the skies were clear, it was no guarantee that the lights would be present. Due to the cloudiness a majority of the time, most of my landscape photos were not very colorful. When the sun is out, there isn't much more color. I plan to go back someday. During the spring and summer, it is very green and there are some amazing landscape photo opportunities. There are also many waterfalls. I don't want to discourage you because Iceland is one of the most beautiful places I have lived, but the weather can be cloudy for days at a time.</p>

<p>I was in Iceland last June and it never really got dark. In February, Iceland gets about 6 1/2 hours of daylight each day. That's fine if you can see the northern lights or you are into night photography. Not the best for landscape. (It was great in June, as long as the black out blinds were closed when we went to sleep).</p>

<p>Kurt: <br>

I spent 7 days in Iceland last March for some aurora photography. Four of the days were sunny, but only one night was cloudless. That night the aurora were quite visible for about 2 hours and then just disappeared and did not return before I gave up at 2 AM. I was in Akureyri, a city on the north central coast. <br>

<br />The temperature was no worse than I have experienced in many winters here in the US. You can go on the Iceland Meteorological Service website and get cloud cover forecasts and aurora forecasts. If you do go to Iceland this site will be very useful.<br>

<br />Iceland is an enormously beautiful country and you will enjoy your trip and the many photo opportunities even in winter.</p>

<p>Pete</p>

<p>Wife and I have been to Iceland twice and plan on going in winter. It's considerably warmer there. But then, we live in South Dakota. Currently 12 below zero here, and +37 there. We are about 50 degrees colder, so for us it's like going to Florida.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>