Bronica gs1 vs Mamiya 330s

nigel_sinkins

<p>hi there<br /> Here iam again? I am wanting to upgrade my system to possibly a 6by7 medium format camera. At present i use Olympus and Contax 35 mm gear, which iam very happy with. I also use a Mamiya 330s tlr camera, which i am also quite happy with but would like something a little more modern with better lens quality. I have considered buying maybe a 645 camera, Mamiya 645 pro tl for example but thought why not go for the bigger negative, hence the interest in the <strong>Bronica GS1</strong> as it seems very reasonably priced with really good reviews, esp the lenses.</p>

<p>However my main concern is its weight, having said that reading on the internet somewhere that the <strong>Bronica</strong> <strong>GS1</strong> is not that much heavier than the <strong>Mamiya 330s</strong> which i don't find too bad. Sooo question, has anyone any knowledge of both these cameras and if so how would you compare them, especially the comparison on weight with the Bronica also having the handgrip and metered prism..</p>

<p>Oh also i have also some time ago again owned a <strong>Bronica SQi </strong> which i also found quite comfortable to use and hold, so any comparison with that would also give me some idea about the size of The GS1 with both having speedgrips and metered prisms attached. And also while iam here wondered if anyone has any ideas of how the GS1 lenses compared to the SQ1's lenses i.e. the latest versions, the PS lenses!</p>

<p>thanks again<br /> any advice much appreciated!<br /> <br />Nigel Sinkins</p>

<p> </p>

<p>GS-1 with film back mounted, metered prism, winder grip and 105mm lens is significantly bigger and heavier than Mamiya 330s. I've used both for several years and Mamiya is the lightweight of the two. Bronica SQ outfitted similarly as GS-1 will feel noticeably lighter and smaller. I took SQa for a trip to Europe, would not probably do that with GS-1. If you are looking into GS-1 you may as well look into Mamiya RB-67. One problem with GS-1 is that with waist level finder, the verticals are difficult to frame and you can just about forget about tracking a moving object. Mamiya RB67 (or even RZ67) has rotating back, which makes the use of WLF a lot easier (I think RZ is also a bit lighter than RB).<br>

Regarding the lenses, both GS and SQ lenses are pretty much without a flaw, image quality wise. When compared to Mamiya C330 glass (single coated Sekors), you will see more contrast and sharpness from the (multicoated) Zenzanons, assuming you can hold the camera steady (shooting handheld, I've got better success rate with Mamiya TLR than any of the GS-1, SQ or RB cameras).<br>

If you are thinking about shooting handheld, an ergonomically wise 645 system (say Pentax 645) may actually give you more noticeable increase in image quality than going with a bigger negative. </p>

<p>Sorry but the GS-1 really isn't substantially heavier or clumsier than the SQ-Ai, nor is it even close in terms of weight and size to the Mamiya RB67. I looked hard at the GS-1 for 6x7 and decided against it due to its relative scarcity, higher price and limited lens selection. It wasn't a huge seller and isn't all that common on the used market. Want 6x7? Go for a Mamiya RB67 Pro S or SD. I shoot mine on light/medium weight tripods and simply carry the two together. Some will swear these require girder-like tripods and vise-like heads but the revolving back minimizes the need for camera movement on a tripod.</p>

<p>I'll begin by confessing a certain bias here, having four Mamiya TLRs (2 x C3, C220, C330f). so you can guess what I'd go for!. I knew a guy who built an 18-year career as an industrial photography on a Mamiya C330 so that says something about its robustness and quality</p>

<p>As far as size/weight/comfort is concerned, my experience with 6x7 cameras is as follows:<br>

- the GS-1 is significantly more compact than the Mamiya RZ67; on trips (even short ones), I carry the Bronica with WLF almost all the time<br>

- the RZ67 feels subjectively twice the size/weight of the Bronica; walking around town, you look like you mean business! (personally, I don't like that)<br>

Both are great cameras, and the GS-1 is a joy to use. The handgrip/pentaprism makes it feel almost like a bloated SLR, but with the WLF is my japanese Hassie!</p>

<p>"<em>The GS-1 is much, much bigger than a "Hassie". It's really not very unlike a RB or RZ, but without the extra comfort those two cameras offer. I'd pick an RB or RZ</em>."</p>

<p>I'm guessing that <em>you're</em> guessing on the difference between a GS-1 and the big Mamiyas. The GS-1 is only slightly bigger and heavier than an SQ series camera. About the only thing the GS-1 and RB/RZ models share is their basic SLR design. Why bother posting?</p>

<p>For me, the only real functional downside to the GS-1 is handling portrait/landscape shots without a prism finder or the hard-to-find rotary finder.</p>

<p>The Gs-1 is a handful. Quite a big larger my etrsi which is small and compact. I have large hands and handling is PITA compared to the 645 camera. It takes longer to set up etc (or so it seems.. the etrsi is just so fast due to set up on tripod in my view.. ). HOwever, The mamiya 330 is a BIG camera and quite a bit larger than the Rolleiflex 2.8GX I used to briefly own.<br>

If you are committed to 6x7 as a complete system and do not mind the extra weight why not get a Mamiya RZ? More lens options and easier close focusing. Bronica extension tubes are quite expensive. In some ways I wish I had purchased an RZ but in others not as I do little macro work and rarely shoot vertically. <br>

PG lenses were the first of the redesigned Bronica lenses circa 1984. The first to use computer simulation in their design extensively. They use comparable coatings to PS so I doubt you would be able to tell any difference other than 6x7 requires a larger image circle and for this reason the physics dictate that they are slightly less in resolution that the PS lenses which are designed for a smaller and more optimal (image circle) square format. <br>

Horses for courses. Handle both before purchasing if possible. </p>

<p>I had a GS1 with several lenses. The best combination for me was the GS1 with AE prism and the 65mm lens with the hand grip. It was easy to carry on long hikes. I sold all my GS1 stuff and got into the Fuji GX680 system with its limited front movements. The GX680 is a tripod only camera for me, much like my 4x5 days in the 1970's and 1980's.</p>

<p>I see some very biased opinions here. Like all the 6x7 cameras, GS-1 is not bigger or heavier than the others. It depends on what components you use it with.<br>

<br />The GS-1 system is solidly made, just like the Mamiya. It does not use tons of plastics, which can reduce the weight dramatically. It is best used as a studio camera, just like Maimya.<br>

If you really need the 6x7 format, use it with the WLF. The total weight is very reasonable. The prism adds weight quite a bit. <br>

To me, Bronica is no difference from the Mamiya. I do not care about the rotating back. Hasselblad is way over-priced, just for the film MF.<br>

If you need need a basic 6x7, pick one from Bronica or Mamiya. If you can't bear the weight, get a 6x4.5 MF, or the expensive and over-priced rangefinder 6x7. </p>

• 10 months later...