Alternatives to Adobe Lightroom and PS for RAW images

<p>I have Windows XP machine and I cannot download Adobe CS6 - Light room nor Photoshop as Adobe says Windows XP is an unsupported OS. <br>

I have Canon CRW raw images. I would like to use a software that is equivalent to Adobe Bridge where I can view the raw images and adjust brightness contrast colors etc and batch process them and export them to JPEG. <br>

Any recommendations that works on XP </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Picasa is a pretty good freebie, quick and easy to use. But it's weak in accurate color correction and white balance from raw files, and lacks any noise reduction utility. Before getting Lightroom I would occasionally run my high ISO raw files through a multi-step process: Nikon View to convert the raw to TIFF with basic white balance adjustment; run the TIFF through Noise Ninja to fix the high ISO noise and resave to TIFF; then Picasa for the rest. All had batch processing options, so it was okay for quickly going through lots of snapshots.</p>

<p>A Picasa upgrade to handle raw files better - with good white balance and noise reduction - it would be a formidable alternative to Lightroom.</p>

<p>Frankly, I would move away from XP as fast as you can - I realise that is not always equally simple, but soon WinXP will be a completely unsupport OS in every sense. Whatever you do now to find a decent RAW editor will be a stop-gap solution until you can move to a modern OS instead (be it Windows 7, 8, Linux or MacOS X).<br>

If you only have Canon files to manage, I would look Canon DPP; otherwise the <a href="http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-elements/tech-specs.html">current version of Photoshop Elements (12)</a> is still supported on Windows XP, and will give you access to the current version of Adobe Camera RAW; it's support for batch operation is sketchy, though. The previous version of CaptureOne (version 6) works on Windows XP too; it has good RAW conversion, fast and certainly can easily do large batch conversions.</p>

<p>Consider ACDSee Pro 7. I use it and consider it's raw development to be excellent. I moved from Lightroom a little over a year ago and wouldn't go back if you paid me. Well, if you paid me I'd consider it! But it works exactly the way I want to work.<br>

Here in the US it's on sale right now at a pretty good discount from its regular $200 price.</p>

<p>I've been pretty satisfied with LightZone, a free Raw converter. You might want to give it a try.</p>

<p>I agree with what Wouter said as well. <a href="http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help#bodyContentPane">Windows is discontinuing XP support after April 8</a>. Which means no more security updates or tech assistance after that.</p>

<p>My light weight laptop which is D4300 Dell - I use it mainly for Music production and creation. I want to use it as an interim. If you photographers are curious. This is my music creation on soundcloud :

and on http://www.seacliffrecord.com/<br>

And I use my laptop as part of my LIVE music performance. I have other computers but they are in transit for next months as I am relocating. Hence i wanted a solution so I can process and post pictures I took here in Austin : SXSW 2014 and more. </p>