olympus xz1, fuji x10, or lumix lx7

<p>I was wondering if anyone owns any of these that could weigh in on them? I've searched forums and read a few posts. <br>

To explain my goal....I already own a Canon DSLR and I still use my old 35mm SLR quite a bit. What I'm really looking for here is something to bring the "fun" factor back for me...better shots than my IPhone....not expecting my DSLR quality, but also more portable. <br>

- I want something small enough to carry in my bag that I can have with me all the time. Fitting in pocket is not a requirement<br>

- I prefer something that has some manual options<br>

- I want something that will work in reasonable low light (I'm not talking nightclubs, or concerts...but more like well lit outdoor shopping areas at night, busy downtown streets at dusk that kind of thing)<br>

- I'm not a pixel peeper and personally don't mind a little acceptable noise. I want something that is going to give better images than my Iphone, but not up to par of the DSLR and not requiring the purchase of more lenses (so ruled out any mirrorless or 4/3 rd's for now)<br>

I started off looking at the Fuji X10, which lead me to boards and discussions about the LX7. Then I had someone mention, "hey if you're wanting a deal on a model you can get used under 200 bucks you should check out the Olympus XZ1," so that's where I'm at now. I'm not looking to spend over 350.00 or so. And if I can find a used model with some extra's that would be even better. <br>

Any other models new or used that come to mind are welcome and any images to share would be even better. I've never gotten bad advice here. <br>

thanks in advance all</p>

<p>If it matters, the Fuji has an optical viewfinder and the Olympus does not, although an accessory one is available that fits in the flash shoe. Also, the Fuji zooms by turning a ring on the lens, whereas the Olympus zooms by the more common finger-actuated lever on the shutter button. Exposure comp on the Fuji is by a knob on the top plate. I think the image quality on the Fuji is better, but I wouldn't say it's a huge difference.</p>

<p>I have both the x10 and the LX7. The LX7 is considerably smaller and carries a Leica badge, while the Fuji looks and feels like baby Leica.<br>

The x10 wins for me because of the real OVF, but in your low-light situations, that might not be so essential-- until a bright LCD display of the LX7 destroys your night vision, that is. The image quality is comparable, but the Fuji's color and DR looks better to me. I love the control layout on the LX7, with the aperture ring making it a snap to work in manual exposure mode. The ND filter and fast access to aspect ratio choices are also very useful. So for me, it comes down to an absolute tie between the two. I don't need both, but either one is too good to get rid of.<br>

I hope that helps you, but I doubt that it does.</p>

<p>Wow did not know the XZ-2 was that low right now, but yes just looked at B&H and it absolutely is...thanks! I will have to give that one some serious thought.<br>

For those who have used the x10 I've seen several reviews that say's it has the view finder, but that it's pretty much useless as it doesn't shoot what you see...do you find yourself using it on the camera or not? I prefer looking through a view finder but I'm okay with using the LCD as well.<br>

For those that have used the LX7 have you purchased the viewfinder to add on and if so how is it?<br>

Good point about the LCD visibility as well since for most of these that is the main source for taking your shot. More things I haven't considered.<br>

I really like the retro look of the Lumix and I don't want to have to dive through menus to get to my settings...do the other models have the basic manual settings easily accessible? <br>

It sounds like any of these will probably serve me well. I guess it will ultimately come down to which "feels," better to me and the ergonomics of the design. </p>

<p>The controls of the XZ-2 are very similar to the E-PL5 I have. The rear control dial can directly control the aperture/shutter speed/exposure compensation. A ring around the lens can be used to change the ISO. It also has a <em>Super Control Panel</em> that can control most camera settings without going into the menus. The LCD has touch capability that make navigation quick.<br>

The camera also has a hot shoe port for an add on EVF. It's the same one used on their µ4/3 cameras, so there are lots of used ones out there for a little over $100.</p>

<p>L had the LX5 with the VF. The older VF was ok and used only in bright conditions. The new VF for the LX7 is much improved, huge difference. I highly recommend the LX7 w/VF. However I do not have any experience with the other cameras and now used exclusively the Panasonic GX1 and Olympus EM-1. I would rate the GX1 (which can be acquire very cheaply) superior to the LX7 (same essential layout, better sensor and interchangeable lenses) and not much bigger physically especially with the 20mm f1.8 lens or the small pancake zoom. Got rid of my Nikon and Canon DSLR and all of the heavy lenses. Note: the VF for the GX-1 is the same as for the LX7</p>