24-105L error 01 code

Stock-Photos

<p>My 24-105 is generating error 01 message when I've tried to use on both = my 5D and 7D.<br>

Error 01 is a lens communication error and cleaning contacts is suggested.</p>

<p>I've cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser with no success. I'm hesitant to use anything more abrasive on the gold plated contacts on the lens.</p>

<p>I've not yet had to use Canon USA repair service for anything, until now. Any advice about doing so would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. Jim H.</p>

<p>I've had the same error code before but for a different lens (28-135). I ended up sending it it to Canon for repair. I've used Canon's repair service a few other times for various other issues and have always been very satisfied with their service. I initiated the service online by filling out a form. If I remember it generated a shipping form. Sent lens/camera to Canon (Irvine, CA center was closest for me) via UPS. Canon will evaluate the lens and they send you a quote for repair. As soon as you approve and pay, they'll fix it. My stuff has always been returned within a week of repair approval. The nice thing is that my lenses were not only fixed but were cleaner than when I sent it in. Its like they performed a tune-up as well. </p>

<p>Yep. Cheer up. It cost me over $500 to get it repaired in Australia. They returned the old parts to me and it amazed me how cheap the ribbon cable and diaphragm looked - like somethign out of a $5 kids toy - not what I expected from a lens supposedly built to pro specifications.</p>

<p>Don't forget to clean the contacts on the body as well! BTW, I know everyone uses an eraser, but I can't stand to do that. I use a microfiber cloth -- not a good one that I use for my lenses, but a common one like from an auto parts store. But yeah, if that doesn't work... Canon service, ribbon cable, etc.</p>

<p>As I pointed out in the threat that Devon McCarroll linked to, it was a fixed price repair and had quite a quick turnaround.<br>

Things could be worse, when my 24-105 died with Err 01, I was covering an event and my 5D mirror also fell off!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe they'll replace the red ring which fell off at no charge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I asked that same question (my red ring has also fallen off), and the answer was, that they would have to both take the bottom apart to fix the real problem, and then also take the top apart to change the red ring. it would be a lot more expensive, almost x2. So I decided I did not need that anyway :)</p>