Calling all Old Timers! What was it like back in the old days, shooting a wedding with film?

wade_thompson1

This may be a bit off topic, but I remember a (possibly apocryphal) story of a local wedding photographer who would show the proofs while wearing white gloves. He would show the bride and groom one of the proofs and ask them if they wanted to buy it. If they said no, he would tear the print up and throw it in the trash, then pick up the next print.

"Do you want this one?"

Don't know how this sales method worked for him.....

Bob, interesting comment about medium format film you made. Medium format is available from many companies for

color and b&w...no problem getting them at all. As to labs, I find it odd that given you say you live in the LA area, you

haven't heard of the most popular film lab for wedding pro in North America....Richard Photo Lab.

It appears the issue with film is more what people don't know about it as opposed to a problem with film itself, or labs to

process it. Film is easy. Shoot it. Drop it off. Download the scans. Little to no time spent staring at monitor. A number

of years ago when I switched back to film, I cut my post processing time down by about 80% to 90%. Saved me a lot of

money in the long run. Why anyone would spend a mountain of time post processing and using filters to try and make

their digital files look like film is beyond me.

<blockquote>

<p>Film is easy. Shoot it. Drop it off. Download the scans. Little to no time spent staring at monitor. A number of years ago when I switched back to film, I cut my post processing time down by about 80% to 90%. Saved me a lot of money in the long run. Why anyone would spend a mountain of time post processing and using filters to try and make their digital files look like film is beyond me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My thoughts exactly. I'm not a wedding photographer, but I have done a few weddings for friends. Usually with an RB67. Films sent off for processing, proofs returned from the lab with re-ordering numbers on the back, No post processing - in fact, no computer time at all!!<br>

<br />Just as my father used to do it from the 1950s to the 1980s.</p>

<p>For those who want the products other than the traditional photo album and need digital files, just download. None of the hours of post processing which some people say they do.</p>

<p>"This may be a bit off topic, but I remember a (possibly apocryphal) story of a local wedding photographer who would show the proofs while wearing white gloves. He would show the bride and groom one of the proofs and ask them if they wanted to buy it. If they said no, he would tear the print up and throw it in the trash, then pick up the next print. "Do you want this one?" Don't know how this sales method worked for him....."<br /><br />Monte Zucker, the late king of wedding photographers, did this for real. I heard him describe it at a local PPA meeting once. Certainly others copied the idea from him. He also encouraged people to buy square format enlargements, partly because square frames were hard to find. Then he sold them the frames. :)</p>

<p>Well Sonny, When i was a young whipper snapper we shot with the film cameras and we did not have the luxuries of a view finder like you young kids have today. We had know what we were doing and we did not learn as we shot and chimped along. Hell everybody is a photographer today it seems. Just buy a camera and get some business cards and your on your way. LOL I am kidding but there is some truth to that. Film sucked compared to what digital is today. It is much easier as far as pushing a button and getting a picture but it still requires talent and skill to produce great images. That is one thing you can't take away from a Pro. I have seen more luck than skill and to be honest it is all about presentation and selling yourself than it is about experience. Put a bow tie on and some red shoes and you will make it. Just Be happy your not shooting film.</p>