Chicago Visit - Suggestions

daniel_grenier

Hi;

I will be in Chicago for a quick visit Feb 14 - 16 (my wife is flying

us to Charlie Trotter's... a x-mas gift...can't wait...).

Never been to Chicago & I'm looking for your suggestions as to what I

should see photography-wise that weekend (especially LF of course).

I'll be staying downtown (Michigan ave) at the Hilton which I

understand is close to many galleries/museums etc..

Any suggestions?

Thanks and a Great New Year to you all.

Hey.

First of all you will love Charlie Trotter's - we were there just a few months ago and it was very good (not as good as French Laundry or Jean George but good nonetheless).

The Art Institute on Michigan avenue is a must for any Chicago visit.

See this link: http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/photo/index_pc.html

Chicago also have "The museum of contemporary photography".

I saw a great exhbit of some Magnum photographer there.

The current exhbitis can be seen at: http://www.mocp.org/

It's also just a few blocks away from where you will be staying.

For non-photographic fun go to:

* The Shedd Aquarium

* The Field museum

All these museums are in what is called the museum campus and are within walking distance from your hotel and from eachother. But February in Chicago...take a cab :-)

Located very close to your hotel is the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) which is a gem of a museum. Last time I was in Chicago they had the excellent Andreas Gursky exhibit, although I'm sure it's gone byu now. However even if they're not showing anything you like, it's worth a visit just for the fine architecture.

For something worth shooting, U. of Chicago, with its fine, gothic, campus, that looks its most natural in the dead of winter, is worth a stop. Keep an eye on your surroundings, but it's a generally safe enough, especially in winter. You can either take the Metra down to the 59th St. station, or the Jeffrey 6 (bus), which will leave you off near the Lake as well as the Museum of Science and Industry.

You have been getting some good advice here. The University of Chicago, where I was once a student, is well worth a visit. The architecture is based on Cambridge. Frank Lloyd Wright's beautiful Robie house is near the campus. There is a Henry Moore sculpture at the site where Prof. Fermi initiated the first nuclear chain reaction (and almost blew up the entire south side of Chicago). The Berghoff Restaurant is indeed a must (not very expensive, either). Just go straight out of the Art Institute, cross Michigan Avenue and keep going straight two blocks. The line can be long to get in, but it has always gone quickly for me. The city's architecture is truly glorious. Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and many others did great work here. You might want to go to the first suburb north, Evanston. Northwestern University is right on the lake, and there is a nice lighthouse there.

It will be obvious to you from your hotel site, but the Michigan Ave skyline, maybe at dusk with lights on is a likely shot if you want to haul your LF camera out in the cold. Actually, if I were on a photographic trip to Chicago, I'd also do street photography with a 35mm.

If you like to frequent camera stores, Central on Wabash very near your hotel is fun, although last time I was in there their LF selection was limited to a bunch of very old (and overpriced, I thought)lenses with crippled shutters. Helix is close to Greek Town (a good bet for eating) to the West of the loop and sometimes worth a visit--big pro store. And then a little further afield tucked away among warehouses on Goose Island just off Division St. is Calumet. They usually have a selection of more modern used LF lenses.

Very close to your hotel on Wabash is a big bookstore that specializes in the arts, including photography. (I don't recall the name.) If you find Central Camera, walk a few blocks south and you'll find it. Also on State near the area you are in is the Carson Pirie and Scott designed by Louis Sullivan.

I second the motion to eat at Berghoff and the line does move faster than you think it is going to. In top form (I timed them once) the waiters are capable of clearing a table in about 30 seconds for the next customers. It closes on the weekend, I believe. Other good food areas include Greek Town, China Town, and the northern neighborhoods along Clark, Broadway, Halsted. The restaurants up that way are a bit cheaper and there's broad ethnic variety. Downtown restaurants, especially those near the "Miracle Mile" northern loop area are touristy and more expensive.

North of the loop area are interesting northside neighborhoods like Lakeview. You might have fun with the youth street life in Bucktown/Wicker Park (there is an incredible gilt-domed Russian Orthodox Church there designed by Louis Sullivan).

My son recently moved to Chicago and I've had fun getting to know the city.

Dear Daniel

You will be staying across from Grant Park, several good vistas there of the skyline. South Michigan Avenue is being considered for a historic district due to the the distinctiveness of the buildings. You will be near the Chicago River and at Michigan are both Tribune Tower and the Wrigley Building. Just to the west, you can catch a good shot of Marina Towers. Behind the Art Institute is the Louis Sullivan Arch from the Chicago Stock Exchange (the original trading room has been rebuilt inside of the museum). If you can get across the river at Lake and Milwaukee (not far from you) there is a great shot of the 333 Wacker Building which is curved and at sunset gives some glorious images. Both Grant Park and Lincoln Park have numerous statues that give interesting shots. Lots of sculpture both new and historic all over the city. Navy Pier has some good places to explore for fun and photos and sculpture in front of it. A couple blocks north of the Hilton is the Railroad Exchange building (aka the Sante Fe building) which is terra cotta and has some really wonderful details. If fact, up and down south Michigan check out the second floors and above where there are lots of archetectural goodies. Oak Park has the FLW home and museum, but a bit of a drive-think you could make better use of your time in the Loop and Near North. Also, Hyde Park, the University of Chicago and the Robie House are great spots, but once again if you are budgeting time, they are a bit difficult to reach-the Hilton is about 900 south and they are nearer to 5700 south, not easily reachable even by public transportation unless you are familar with the CTA.

Your hotel is near Columbia College which has a great photo program. As for camera joints, try Central, but don't miss Helix or Calumet. In the River North gallery area, Catherine Edleberg (Sp?) is the photo gallery with the best images. I can only suggest about 40 different restaurants, really depends on what food type and price point you desire. Check the local guides and ask a concierge. You will certainly enjoy Trotter's-by the way tell your wife to check out Laurie's Shoes on the main level under his studio kitchen (one of the most popular shoe stores). The cab ride to Trotter's will be in the $10 plus range, it is on Armitage in west Lincoln Park/DePaul.

Please advise if I can be of any other assistance.

Glad to have another person enjoying Chicago.

Regards and Happy New Year!

John Bailey

Pizzeria Uno. Not Pizzeria Due, not Gino's, not Lou Malnati, not nobody but Uno's. It's the best. And go to the original, not one of the awful franchises. Try it for lunch when it's less crowded. MANY years ago I remember standing in bitter cold outside for an hour and a half one night waiting to get in, and it was still worth it. Sausage.

I grew up in Chicago. Moved back with family to be in Grandma Land for 9 years before moving to New England. With a young child one never goes to eat anywhere except Burger King, but based on all restaurant reviews I've read, your wife is something special to take you to Charlie Trotter's! Tiffany's is on Michigan Avenue in case you are moved to thank her appropriately.

Happy New Year, and enjoy the Windy City.

Best "samiches" in town: Bergoffs on Adams, 2 blocks west of the Art Institute.

Best place to overpay for camera equipment: Central Camera on Wabash

Best day to go to Art Institute: Tuesday (entrance is free)

Best place for overpriced cheezy touristy trinkets and such: Navy Pier

Best time to visit Chicago: July/August

Best view: From the top of Sears Tower (about $10/person)

Biggest camera store around: Helix, on Racine Avenue (about 12-15 blocks due west of Art Institute between Adams and Jackson.

Dear Daniel

I just got a promo card in the mail from Architech Gallery at 730 N. Franklin announcing that from Jan. 3 through March 22 they will have an exhibit of 'Daniel Burnham's Chicago'. Included will be Burnham and Root design drawings for the Rookery Buildng, some presentation renderings and then in addition wood engravings and photographs from the Columbian Exposition (1893 I believe?). Their web site is www.ArchiTechGallery.com. This is in the River North art district.

Keep planning!

Regards,

John Bailey

Daniel - Behind a hotel across the street from (to the west of) the Merchandise Mart is an old train trestle bridge that is no longer used. It's old, large, rusty and sticking up in the air at about a 70 degree angle over the river! It is in the upper left corner (NW corner) of the Loop. I think the hotel is on Wacker Drive, this bridge is right behind the hotel. By parking in the parking garage of the hotel you can walk to it very quickly! Makes for some intersting photgraphs. The curved side of a large bank building is to the east of that parking garage, makes for some beautiful B&W images. Enjoy and stay warm.

Tim McDonald

Lots of good pointers here folks. Thank you so much.

David:

No. Feb is it. That�s Valentine�s month my friend and my wife booked the trip.

Richard:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Trotter�s. I�m very much looking forward to it. BTW, did you know that he just won the 2002 Best Service Award from the James Beard Foundation?

He�s still the only Mobil 5 star in Chicago so it�s got to be good! French Laundry? In a couple years maybe? I�m definitely going to both your recommendations too � The Art institute and The Museum of Contemporary Photo� and Feb in Chicago does not scare me one bit�. I live in Canada!

Barry:

Ditto - the MoCP

Bill:

I think I�ll skip photo stores�. My wife won�t let me go play Valentine�s weekend (sigh!!!)

Jeff (et all)

Berghoff? Never heard of it but I understand it�s the oldest restaurant in Chicago? I�m not partial to German food but maybe it�s my chance to revisit schnitzels etc? You folks in Chicago may want to look up Tru. It has been getting a lot of good press. Many awards and high praises but much money required I hear.

Joe:

An in-depth visit of the Art Institute�s photo collection is a great idea�. but not this trip�. not enough time.

Fred & David:

Thanks for the shooting pointers but here too�. not enough time on this trip. The 8x10 is staying behind.

Daniel & Tony:

From your description, the architecture sounds glorious indeed. I hope I can �squeeze� some in. Bergoff too eh? Hummmmmm�..

John:

Thanks for a good description of where I�ll be staying. I�m looking forward to seeing the area. I�ll also tell my wife about Laurie�s Shoes (maybe) and I certainly plan (and hope) Trotter is in fine form on the 14th.

Sandy:

Am I crazy? I don�t think so. Not yet anyway. According to my wife though, I am. Anybody, she says, carrying 50+ pounds of 8x10 camera �stuff� at my age is crazy! The Neo Futurists � crazy or not � sounds intriguing.

Bruce:

So the original Uno is the place eh? I do want to go for at least one of those famous Chicago deep-dish pizzas so I�ll be heading for Ohio Street for sure. My wife is indeed �something special� as you say, for taking me to Trotter�s. She is very thoughtful and extremely supportive of my obsessions with fine food and LF photography. You�re right Bruce, Tiffany�s might well be in order.

Kevin:

All right, I�m going up the Hancock tower too then. Or will that be the Sears Tower?

Roger:

Thanks for all your �Bests� of Chicago. I�m taking you up on a couple of them.

John:

Love architecture�. I�m going! If you happen to be in Montreal, do go to the Canadian Centre for Architecture. Awesome place if you�re into Architecture with lots of very fine photography.

Tim:

That locale sounds like something I�d want to photograph. Maybe it�ll warrant a subsequent trip the Chicago � with my car and my 8x10 this time.

Thanks again folks and a Great Year for you all.

Daniel