SRT101

I bought a second hand chrome model in the early seventies from a shop in Bond St. It was a giant leap over the none

rangefinder Zeiss Werra that I had been using but my role as a new father justified it. When I first saw it in the window I

couldn't believe that such a fantastic camera was available second hand. On the second day that I went by it was still

there - I had assumed it would be snapped up immediately and after a few more days I took the plunge. No regrets, it's

ease of use, ability to do just what you wanted was unsurpassed. I regretted selling it many years later and acquired

another about three years ago. Glad to see that it is so well appreciated as for me it represented a real high level

acquisition. Unlike with almost very other camera the 101 exceeded all my expectations.

<p>As I've said, I used Minoltas of this vintage a fair amount in the field (in dirt, dust, on archaeological digs) with good reliability and function. On the other hand, I never experienced any kind of nostalgia for them as I have with all too many other cameras.</p>

<p>At this time, the only Minolta I have is the history-changing Maxxum 7000 and a few lenses and accoutrements. Again, I appreciate its significance, but I just don't seem to 'click' with Minolta cameras (perhaps the pheromones are wrong?).</p>

<p>On the other hand, you obviously do 'click' with it, and it sure is nice looking in basic black. Congratulations.</p>

<p>You lucky dog, and with an 85 too! Those tend to be pricey.</p>

<p>By the way, if you don't need pansy full aperture metering, you would not like any stinkin' full-information VF with the aperture setting displayed, either. So be sure not to get an SRT102 to go with your 101.</p>

<p>As to stop-down switches: Yesterday there arrived in the mail a 135/3.5 that I bought for my SRT. It strangely has a push-button stop-down actuator on the lens (close to the mount). This is different to the small thumbnail-slide ones on some older Rokkors, and seemingly somewhat redundant to the stop-down button on the camera body. One wonders what they were thinking there...<br /> <em>--Dave</em></p>

<p>Early SR Minoltas did not have a depth of field preview function, but instead it was built into the lenses. The 55 and 100 Auto Rokkors that I have both have this. Early MC Rokkors had this as well, but later ones did not. If you want to use an old Auto Rokkor on an SRT for example, stop down metering is required. It's easier for me to stop down the lens rather than the camera to take a meter reading. The stop down lever is nice if you ever pick up an X370 as it lacks DOF preview.</p>