Missing Viewfinder Rubber Eyepiece Mount on D90 & D7000

stan_schurman1

<p>I had the complete mount for the rubber eyepiece on my D90 viewfinder come off a couple of years ago. That is, not just the rubber, but the entire metal mount. The eyepiece glass in the body was still intact so I could still use the camera and I never bothered to have the mounting piece replaced. OK, I thought it was a fluke. But now I've had the exact same thing happen with my D7000 two years later. I've always been a Nikon shooter, but it seems to me that these occurrances betray some shoddy design or workmanship by Nikon. Has anyone else had something similar happen? I somehow doubt that my two incidences are unique and pure fluke.</p>

<p>DK-21 is the part for the D90 if the mount <em>on the camera itself</em> is still intact. It may also fit the D7000, I didn't check.<br /> e.g.,<br /> <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=NIkon+DK-21&num=100&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=atU&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=_m-nUqPiK4a0qgGC2YCoBQ&ved=0CCsQsxg&biw=1586&bih=1298">link</a></p>

<p>Otherwise, if the actual camera body is damaged, I guess it's send it back to moma time.</p>

<p>These eye pieces are replaceable and can be changed for different types. This is why they are removable. It is not a design fault or shoddy design.</p>

<p>I do agree that sometimes when your putting your camera in a packed camera bag you can knock the eye piece off. Just something you have to keep an eye on. Replacement's are cheap enough and I guess you could alway glue them on permanently if your sure your never going to want to change it.</p>

<p>I am not sure of your problem . I just checked my D200 which uses the same DK-21 eyepiece . The eyepiece uses a rubber cushion attached with two <em>screws , </em>the whole unit just slides onto a grooved mount surrounding the viewfinder . The mount itself seems to be one piece with the entire top plate of the camera . I can not find any rivets any where .</p>

<p>Stan -</p>

<p>My D7000 resembles that D90 above. Stan, are you banging the body somehow while on a tripod, of carrying it around or storing it? It seems that it take a substantial whack, very bad luck or extreme cold temperature brittleness to "rip" this thing off/or snap it off?</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>Good news. I thought that must have been the case Stan, as the eyepiece holder is pretty securely attached to the camera and would require a major force to dislodge it as others have pointed out. The fact that this has happened to two of your camera's also suggest that it was probably just the DK-21 sliding off. You can purchase replacement parts pretty cheap.<br /><br />Happy shooting</p>

<p>I have two D300 (not D300s.) Hard to say two D300 without adding the s, which confuses reader which model I have. Anyway, the eyepiece fell off of one of them. I don't know how long it was missing before I even noticed. So far I never replaced it and it was over a year ago. If I don't look at the two cameras, I would not be able to of guessed which one has been missing, so I really have not noticed that it was gone when viewing through the camera. <br /><br />"The DK-21 minimizes the amount of stray light that enters the viewfinder and enables more comfortable viewing."</p>