With D3200, the bundle lens vs Tamron 28-75

sung_ho_hur

<p>Does your version have the built-in motor? If not, then you won't have AF with the D3200. If your lens has an aperture ring, then it's the version without built-in AF motor.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>28-75 will be an awkward focal length range on a DX frame</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It depends - I actually enjoyed the Nikon 28-105 as a one-lens-walkaround solution on my D200 - not really missing something wider. But the 16-85 provides indeed more flexibility. There's of course always the option to add a wider lens to the 28-75.</p>

<p>Are you asking if the 18-55mm be a good addition to the 28-75mm that you already have? If you like to shoot wider than 28mm, yes - it will give you a much wider field of view. IQ is also very, very good with that lens. But aperture wise, it is not as fast as the lens you have so you will need more light or flash indoors.</p>

<p>The 28-75mm has a built-in motor for AF but will not AF on the D3200. The D3200 requires AF-S lenses The 18-55mm, being an AF-S lens, will AF on the D3200.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>28-75 will be an awkward focal length range on a DX frame, going from normal to telephoto and having no wide angle capabilities. Skip it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>the OP already has the tamron. i've used the 28-75 on DX and it's actually really great if you dont need to shoot wide. it's entirely usable as a portrait lens and also good for events where you aren't super-close to the action. it works best in a 2-lens combo with an ultrawide, such as the new tokina 12-28/4. not being able to AF on a d3200 would be an issue; if you can swing the extra cash, the d7000 would have full functionality with non AF-S lenses. about that 18-55 VR: the 24mp sensor of the d3200 outresolves the lens. so if you want to take full advantage of all that resolution, you'll need to upgrade from the kit lens anyway. </p>

<p>Late version of Tamron 28-75 has a built-in motor. Like other Tamron lens, it's a AF-I type, slower than AF-S but works.</p>

<p>Below is a picture of this version. Note the 8 contacts.<br /> Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - Nikon Mount

<p>Here is the D version with aperture ring. See there are only 5 contacts. There's also a "screw driver".<br /> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tamron-SP-28-75-F-Mount.jpg</p>

<p>I'm not sure whether there's another version between the two: G type, no aperture ring, no built-in motor. I can't find a picture for that one.</p>