110 Film

I recently picked up a 110 film camera, Pentax Auto as part of a low fidelity landscape project I am doing alongside Wet Plate Collodion.

Has anyone used the Orca B&W 110 film? I am looking to push it from its native 100 to 400 or 800....or higher to enhance grain and

contrast. Anyone have any samples?

<p>If I'm recalling correctly the Pentax 110 SLRs were set for only ISO 80 and 400 films. My Pentax 110 is buried in the closet and I don't recall whether those presets can be bypassed or overridden.</p>

<p>Much as I'd enjoy using that camera again, it seems like a lot of hassle to use a pricey Lomo film without paper backing, along with the processing hassles, for extra grain and contrast. I like the aesthetic, but I'd probably just use my 35mm film cameras, frame very loosely, then crop and enlarge to get the same effect. And I already have enough expired b&w film to last several years for that sort of aesthetic.</p>

<p>Lex, the current film does have paper backing.</p>

<p>I have used it in my Pentax Auto 110, but there's not really a way to 'push' as the camera has no ISO setting. IIRC it will see the indicator on the film cartridge and set hi or low, but that's it. You might be able to do something with development but that's about all.</p>

Patrick, that was my plan. Make sure the camera is stuck in 400 setting and try and push to 800. I've played a bit with an

old Kodak Ektra 1 and some Fuji 200 film and like the different look to 35mm. I also plan to run some of the Lomo 110 E6

film as well which is a 200 iso film. Lex, expired film won't give me the aesthetic as the Orca film I am using is fresh.

<p>Another possibility is to pick a 35mm half frame camera. Often they can be inexpensive (except for the Olympus Pen, of course). Shoot conventional black and white ISO 400 and try pushing it with a developer such as Rodinal. 110 black and white is just too expensive to experiment with whether you buy the new Orca or find some cold-stored Verichrome Pan. Or as Lex suggested, use your current 35mm equipment and frame so you can crop heavily.</p>

Thanks Mike. Part of the point of the project is to use 110 film and Wet Plate. I like the half frame idea....but once again,

it isn't the 110 I want. The Orca film isn't that spendy.....just $7.89 a roll of 24. As it won't be a spray and pray type

project, I' not concerned about the cost.

<p>The 110 film cartridge has a notch on it to tell the camera the film speed. I do not think the Auto 110 has a film speed override. You could place a ND filter over lens or meter eye ,but this would be a pain. Collodion is Blue only sensitive ,Orca is panchromatic. A deep blue #47 (Minus Red) filter might help with the tones. Tough project if you insist on using 110 format.</p>

<p>Another possibility might be to pick up some ISO 400 color negative film in 110 format. Have negatives scanned and convert to black & white. Or if printing conventionally print on black & white paper. Use a condenser enlarger rather than diffusion to emphasize grain even more. Some 110 cameras interpret the ISO 400 notch as ISO 250 to gain some latitude and reduce grain, but not sure about the Pentax. If it exposes at 400 so much the better. Not sure if ISO400 110 is still made but I do see outdated stock listed from time to time.</p>

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...