Majestic Landscapes-Ireland

danielheller

<p>I've never been to Ireland but I once had an Irish boss who told me about his visit to the Cliffs of Moher. At one point on his walk he saw some people reclining in a relaxed manner on a cliff-edge piece of grass. Looking back at them from a different angle it was clear that they were on a jutting out ledge of rock supported only by being attached to the cliff face. Only fresh air beneath them.<br>

I would not miss the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. I can recommend this as I have been to its other end on the island of Staffa in Scotland.<br>

Have a great trip!</p>

<p>I've photographed in Ireland quite a lot, and I like it a lot. For me, the best of the Ireland I've seen is the coastline, particularly the west coast. Inland, much of the countryside is unspectacular, though there are clearly some areas more attractive than others. </p>

<p>But if you had ten days or two weeks, following the coast from Giants Causeway in the north , and around the west to Dingle in the south (or vice versa), would be a great trip. If you have less time than the areas of Connemara (near Galway) and round the coast to maybe Sligo or Donegal would be a great target.</p>

<p>The challenge you will have is that throngs of tourists spoil images of grand spaces. For that reason, I would not recommend the Cliffs of Mohrer and the Giants Causeway - both are mob scenes.</p>

<p>My suggestions are:<br>

Blasket Islands<br>

Connemora<br>

Rural Derry<br>

MacGillicuddy's Reeks</p>

<p>The west coast is good, as others have suggested. Aran Islands (ferry from Galway) are well worth the trip, especially if you stay there for a day or so. The Burren (massive area of limestone pavements with interesting flora and a number of prehistoric tombs in County Clare) is good, too, once you're away from the tourist hotspots. Unfortunately the relaxed planning regulations mean that much of Ireland is dotted with rather ugly modern houses built in the years before their economy crashed, which don't fit into the landscape and are generally unameliorated by gardens or sympathetic planting. This means that wide open spaces are harder (but not impossible) to find.</p>

Open vast never ending space is difficult to find, and certainly on a much reduced scale compared to,say, the US. There are few if any

true 'wilderness' areas in Ireland. That said, it is possible to find some very quiet corners, a reasonable distance from any towns, but

close enough to access.

For quieter locations, in addition to the other posts, I would suggest researching:

-Comeragh mountains in Waterford

-KNockmealdown Mountains Tipperary/Waterford

-Galtees in Tipperary.

-Wicklow mountains,just south of Dublin, but large area of uninhabitated hills

-Mweelrea and surroundings and southwest mayo in general. Adjacent to but less busy than Connemara.

-Achill island. Busy in summer, but great views and hard to reach cliffs and a deserted beach.

-Glens of Antrim, inland side.

-Mourne mountains.

(Mountains being equivalent to low hills 600-900m, but some dangerous exposed cliffs esp. Galtees, mweelrea and comeraghs)

• 3 months later...