40D doesn't expose in AV, TV and M

gregory_nicholson

<p>I bought the camera new in '08 and used it very little. In 2012 it developed the ERR99 code and I sent the camera to Canon for this repair, the shutter count was 3850. As of yesterday when the exposure is set to either AV, TV or M the camera selects a 30 second exposure and does not record an image. The last time I used the camera it was very cold out but I only took a few shots in my backyard. The camera was set to AV and I don't think I have ever used it set on anything besides AV or M.</p>

<p>The camera works normally in P, C1, C2, C3 and the picture style settings. I reset the camera by removing the batteries but that did not resolve this issue. If anyone has had this problem or has any suggestions I would appreciate any advice before I send the camera off to Canon again. Or do you think the camera is too old to spend any money on and I should use it on a setting that will work? Thanks for reading my post.</p>

<p>It's not a "normal" error so there's probably nothing you can do to fix it if you've already tried pulling the batteries and leaving it overnight. </p>

<p>It's debatable whether it's worth fixing since the eBay value is now $200 at best. I can't see Canon charging a lot less than that to look at it and fix it, whatever is wrong with it.</p>

<p>Can't you set C1, C2 and C3 to default to Av, Tv and M and then adjust setting from there? If it works in Av, Tv and M modes via the C settings it might point to a problem with the mode dial I guess.</p>

<p>After taking your advice I've concluded that with the mode dial set to C1 I can register my quality/function settings but the camera is in AV mode. I cannot seam to find instructions on how to make C2 or C3 either TV or M as the default exposure mode, not that it would keep me from using the camera but it would be nice to use TV on occasion.<br>

<br /> This was kind of a brain twister for me as I never had the EOS film camera experience, I went from Canon F-1N match needle metering to EOS digital and never bothered learning anything beyond the metering and WB settings. Thanks for your reply it helped a lot knowing I can still use the camera.</p>

<p>I tried saving TV or M to C2 or C3 and it worked just like the mode dial was set on either TV or M rather than C2/C3. I tried it without a lens and the mirror raises but the shutter doesn't open when set to a 1 second exposure. After 30 seconds the shutter returns and no image is recorded.</p>

<p>Nilantha, the camera has the latest firmware 1.1.1, is it common to reinstall the latest firmware to correct a problem?</p>

<p>I read a lot of warnings about using third party lenses with EOS cameras, I have used the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 with this camera almost 100% of time. I wonder if that caused the err99 after 3800 exposures and now this problem at exposure count 4100? All is not lost though I can still use C1 (AV mode) and with the rear wheel as an exposure compensation is basically like using M exposure mode.</p>

<p>The final question is how reliable this model of camera has been for the majority of owners, should I cut my losses and get a more reliable camera for the Sigma 10-20?</p>

<p>I don't want to abandon the small format camera because I have gotten some really terrific shots with it and the Sigma 10-20 at F22 and F25 that I cannot duplicate with my 5D and 28-70 when attempting large DOF landscape photos.</p>

<p>Can anyone recommend the 50D or 60D as a more reliable camera? I'm a little hesitant to buy another new camera from Canon right now and KEH has some attractive prices on those two in ex+ condition.</p>

<p>Gregory,</p>

<p>I've had the 50D since its introduction into the market. Actually, when I went to purchase, I had done all the research and was going for the 40D. I knew nothing about the 50D or, that it even existed until the Sales person introduced the 50D to me and let me spend some time going over its controls and explaining the added features over the 40D. Mostly the 15.1 Mega Pixels and the Sensor cleaning and the slightly larger LCD. I was sold and haven't regretted it one bit!<br>

But, the 50D is getting long in the tooth!<br>

Now I'd love to upgrade to the 7D for the type of shooting I do. But it too has been out there awhile. The 60D may be the better alternative!</p>

<p>Just my .o2 worth!</p>

<p>Best wishes,<br>

Jim j.<br>

</p>

<p>Gregory, I think the suggestion of re-loading the firmware is a very good one. I'd try that.</p>

<p>Your last question: The 40D is an old camera, but it is a particularly good one. I still use mine. Most of my photography is full frame, and my next upgrade will be full frame. But for the crop work, I'm perfectly happy with my trusty 40D. It's a very competent and reliable camera. (That said, if it died, I might upgrade a generation or three.)</p>

<p>I read a few different times the 7D has exposure problems when using an adapted lens and one of my favorite hold-overs from film era is an Ed Mika adapted FDn 24 F2. The 60D doesn't have a PC terminal and I'm still using a manual flash on a butterfly bracket. So (for me) that leaves the 40D and 50D.</p>

<p>I hate to use a broken camera, it's my intuition that would lead to another failure. What if the 50D has the same 'lemon' rate as the 40D, then my chances of having a reliable camera are equal to repairing the 40D. I guess I'll send the 40D to Canon again and try real hard to forget how much money I have in it.</p>

Glad to hear that firmware reload did resolve the issue. The following adapter would allow you to convert hot shoe to PC terminal and still keeping regular EOS hot shoe connection live. Ideal for Rebel/60D users without a PC terminal.

<a id="yui_3_7_2_28_1391464656370_73" href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765444-REG/Vello_HSA_PSC_PC_Top_Shoe.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765444-REG/Vello_HSA_PSC_PC_Top_Shoe.html</a>