Question 550 Polaroid back for Fuji instant FP-100C on 4x5

<p>Wayne,<br>

Not every 4x5 camera will accept the Polaroid 550 film back. What camera do you have? Graflok-style back?</p>

<p>More importantly, FujiFilm appears to have recently halted production on all of their 4x5 pack films (FP-100C45 and FP-3000B45). You can still buy some on the secondary market, but be prepared to pay a premium.</p>

<p>If your 4x5 camera accepts the smaller Polaroid 405 instant film back (or similar Fuji 145 back), you can use Fuji's 3.25x4.25 pack films (FP-100C and FP-3000B). Latest reports from FujiFilm USA say that the FP-3000B will be discontinued later this year (2014). FP-100C will be the sole instant pack film in production at that point.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello RT,<br>

Thanks for the tips as I'm very green in the 4X5, I believe is a spring load? I dont have the exact model of the Sinar yet, it is still in the store waiting for new part. The price was right for a good condition camera at the time. Yes I will be using the FP-100C but I thought the polaroid 550 will work? Will the Polaroid 405 will work the spring load back?<br>

Thanks<br>

Wayne</p>

Remember also what R T said about the demise of 4x5" instant film, with other formats also having become nearly extinct, just about ready to disappear over night.<br>I never liked instant film, don't know why anyone would (want to) use it. But even so, i doubt that many (if anyone at all) will disagree that it would be wise to reconsider venturing into instant film territory.

<p>With the only film that Fuji still making is FP-100c (color, 100 speed, 3.25 x 4.25" film) it wouldn't do you any good to buy anything but a Fuji 145 back or Polaroid 405 back. 4 x 5" instant film has all been discontinued. Furthermore Fuji likes to discontinue things one painful thing at a time. First it was 4 x 5 instant film, then it was 100 speed black and white, then 3000 speed black and white. With a single emulsion left for these backs made by a company that continues to disappoint people I'd advise that if you didn't already have money invested in these backs just save your money. No sooner will you get to liking it than Fuji will pull the plug, and you'll be left with equipment that can't be used for anything else and nobody will buy it from you.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I bought old Polaroid 55 positive/negative film and took it with me on business trip to Berlin. Everywhere I setup my wooden Zone 6 camera, passersby would ask "Is that a camera?" -in English! I'm not sure what gave me away as an Anglophone -no logos or words on my clothing. (Maybe I don't want to know.)<br>

prior to that trip, there was lots of advice to not buy the Polaroid back (for $10) because it was useless, but I got a few good shots of street performers in the subways and met a lot of folks who wanted to look through the camera. I even met a local pro who hooked me up with some good contacts and shops. At that time the Type 55 ran me about $5 per shot. Slow photography with an instant result can be alot of fun -even though I didn't pull the photos through the rollers until I was back in the room where I could wash the negatives.<br>

I didn't have to worry about developing the film, and got a local shop to do hi-res drum scans of the negatives that were keepers.<br>

Film in general is going obsolete. The cost of a film back won't break you. Enjoy it while it is still here, and maybe there will be enough business for awhile longer. I just recently bought my own enlarger for 4x5 film along with trays etc. There are still multiple sources for non-instant 4x5 film.<br>

Most of my time and cash goes into sports photography. Even though I enjoy sports, that is work for pay. Black and white film "slow photography" is fun and magic.</p>

<p>I bought old Polaroid 55 positive/negative film and took it with me on business trip to Berlin. Everywhere I setup my wooden Zone 6 camera, passersby would ask "Is that a camera?" -in English! I'm not sure what gave me away as an Anglophone -no logos or words on my clothing. (Maybe I don't want to know.)<br>

prior to that trip, there was lots of advice to not buy the Polaroid back (for $10) because it was useless, but I got a few good shots of street performers in the subways and met a lot of folks who wanted to look through the camera. I even met a local pro who hooked me up with some good contacts and shops. At that time the Type 55 ran me about $5 per shot. Slow photography with an instant result can be alot of fun -even though I didn't pull the photos through the rollers until I was back in the room where I could wash the negatives.<br>

I didn't have to worry about developing the film, and got a local shop to do hi-res drum scans of the negatives that were keepers.<br>

Film in general is going obsolete. The cost of a film back won't break you. Enjoy it while it is still here, and maybe there will be enough business for awhile longer. I just recently bought my own enlarger for 4x5 film along with trays etc. There are still multiple sources for non-instant 4x5 film.<br>

Most of my time and cash goes into sports photography. Even though I enjoy sports, that is work for pay. Key word: work. Black and white film "slow photography" is fun and magic.<br>

http://riedelsportsphotography.zenfolio.com/p257600195/e62289a6f<br>

Roughly ISO 25 and 3 second exposure. I was able to give them free prints a few days later when I met them at another subway station. Still new to large format, I told them to move the wrong way when I tried to get the subway light out of the picture. (Image backward and upside down when viewing through the lens.) It keeps you on your toes: spot meter, compensate for true shutter speed, compensate for bellows length, compensate for IS0 25 negative (oops -set for ISO 50 positive).</p>

<p>There is further good news regarding instant 4x5 film users! If you haven't already heard, the folks at New55 Film recently started and achieved their $400,000 Kickstarter fundraising goal. We can expect a product very similar to Polaroid's Type 55 film to be marketed in the very near future (January 2015).<br>

<br />Check out the New55 Film Kickstarter page here:<br />https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobcrowley/new55-film<br /><br>

And the New55 Film webpage here: http://new55project.blogspot.com<br /><br>

Hang on to your Polaroid 545 film holder!<br /><br />rt<br>

</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>New55...ISO 50, depending on what batch you get. Expensive at the moment, 85 bucks for 5 sheets. I did contribute to the kickstart which you may or may not be aware, became fully funded, without much trouble or fanfare it seems, was notified that my turn would be coming up soon to make a purchase, anyway, sucked it up and bought 2 packs, I believe it to be the third run/batch or whatever, will try it in the coming weeks. <br />They also have a readyload style currently available, 1Shot, ISO 100, 50 bucks for 5 sheets......we'll see.....<br />Their 1 Shot developer has been out for a little while, I'm sure some folks are already aware of that.<br />Thought I'd throw that out there.....</p>