Nikon Wednesday 2014: #2

Matt Laur

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Few people would use the Df for wildlife photography, but that was exactly what I did at Radio Road in the Redwood Shores in San Francisco Bay. I had the Df on a long lens on a tripod.</p>

<p>A acquaintance who has photographed with me at that location a dozen time or so came by. He uses a D300 himself so that he is quite familiar with Nikon. He asked me why I was switching back to film all of a sudden, on wildlife subjects no less. I told him that is not a film SLR; it is the latest Df.</p>

<p>The problem with "only" 16MP on FX is that it is once you start cropping, you are quickly down to not many pixels. In this case I had to cropped out the other bird in the foreground. As a result, my usable image is down to about 6MP or so. And my lens was already a 600mm, so using a longer one wasn't really an option (maybe add a 1.4x TC?).</p>

<p>Nikon Df, ISO 100, 1/500 sec and 600mm lens @ f5.6.</p><div>00cIHn-544733584.jpg.bddb6220ab3617f688bafa601cff14d9.jpg</div>

<p>Green-winged teal. Just completely by chance, I have a secondary reflection of the eye in the water. I think that is kind of cool. And the only PhotoShop work on this image is adding a bit of contrast, adding the copyright info, and cropping it down.</p>

<p>Nikon D7100 with 600mm lens, f5.0, 1/1000 sec, and ISO 640.</p><div>00cIHo-544733684.jpg.66594fbd63dd08d7769be5d19566db7f.jpg</div>

<p>Much to my delight we have some hummingbirds that have come south for the winter. They must be very disappointed as it has been very cold here. Their mixture in the feeders has been frozen the past couple of mornings. There has been quite a bit of territorial friction as they chase one another around the yard.<br /> Here are a couple of shots , not positive on the IDs but think one is a Broadtail and Rufous.<br /> D800 300mm f/4 with 1.4 TC</p>

<p> </p><div>00cIIM-544734484.jpg.04ea34ae11c75ff9e9e1dc05043e3755.jpg</div>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=482371">Phil Phillips</a>, I was wondering why that ATM looks familiar (not that particular one, but that ATM design with that crown logo in general). Well, I was in Arrowtown for a couple of hours two months ago, on my way to Queenstown in New Zealand.</p>

<p>One of my New Year's resolutions is to finish rating photos in Lightroom, sorting into catalogs, and doing some post processing on the best images. A fine activity when outside temperatures would freeze fingers trying to manipulate a camera. Here are three images from a May 2012 visit to Ely NV and the Northern Nevada Railroad that came out of yesterday's Lightroom session.</p><div>00cIJP-544736584.jpg.fc1a92a225d59adc13958243612afc20.jpg</div>