Bronica vs Hasselblad lenses...........New evidence?

keith_laban

That list is based on one guy sitting around and tinkering with photos under a 40x loup. I have no idea what his credentials are or how controlled the tests were, under what conditions the photos were taken and how reliable the development was.

If his tests are as poor as his grammar then I'd say they are worth nothing.

This page has been on line for quite some time, recently updated with the Hassy lenses. That always makes me suspicious when all tests were not run at the same time and under the exact same conditions. Are the figures for the 80mm Planar realistic? 96 lpm is near the limits of the film isn't it? The only tests I have seen with those kind of resoultion numbers have been based on the lens only and not using film. I wouldn't buy or sell any lens based on these tests.

I believe the testing on the site is generally well thought of. For instance, I belive they were the first to highlight the focussing problems at f4.5 on the otherwise excellent 80mm Schneider Super Symmar XL and have confirmed many Mamiya 6 & 7 owners beliefs with their testing.

Richard, I do hope my grammar and spelling meets your standards, I am sure the author is sorry if his dyslexia offended you.

• 2 months later...

Since I am the gent in question, bad grammar and all (with probably very poor spelling too), I feel qualified to respond.

All lenses are tested at 20:1 distance to focal length (since this is what many lenses are optimized for) unless otherwise noted.

All lenses were tested as 'camera systems'. That is, if a camera system is misaligned, then the 'resolution' of the system is what is represented, not what a lens might be capable of. This is how I found out that my Hasselblad body was WAY out of alignement.

All tests were performed by myself or a friend in my home using the same chart, lighting, measuring systems, and eyes to focus. The heating system in my home is so much nicer than the cold draft of a garage.

All film was Kodak's TMax100 souped in D-76.

All readings were done using my Omega D-2 enlarger set to an enlargement height of 16x20 inches, and viewed through a grain focuser. If the film can record it, I can report it. [i have NO idea where the gent got the idea I used a 40x loup as such a thing would never work]

I have choosen this approach for several reasons. 1) My friends and I were wondering how our Large Format lenses performed. Turns out, they perform quite well between f/11 and f/22 in many many cases. 2) This is the only method a hobbiest such as I can gain access to. Hasselblad is the only company I know of to open it's doors to independent lens testing, but I don't have the money nor the time to embark on such an adventure. 3) I believe (being trained in the sciences some time back) that my approach is consistant, verifiable, and repeatable.

While it may stretch the limits of credibility for some of you, I can say with all honesty: I don't care which lenses or systems are 'best'. I am simply looking for the lenses and camera systems that perform well. Bob S. and I have gone around the bend on this several times. Yes, the lens company he represents produces nice equipment, even if I feel it fails to measure up to _his_ lofty claims of quality and visible performance.

Does this help? Or does this fan the flames of argumentative passion?

- Chris "How's my grammar now? Or my spelling?" :-)

• 4 months later...

Kudos to Chris & Kerry for the impressive work they¡¦ve accomplished testing lenses.

I rely a great deal on Chris¡¦s fair and unbiased testing when I¡¦m shopping for new/used large format lens.

When Mamiya demonstrated that their $300 80mm 645 lens was �d to Her Carl¡¦s 80mm Contax @ 4X the cost, I was sold. Concentrate on the numbers ¡§grasshopper¡¨, who amongst us truly gives a rats ass how it¡¦s written.

If you¡¦re the type that enjoys gawking though expensive marketing literature that don¡¦t tell you ¡§s¡Kt¡¨

The site attached is not for you¡K http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Chris-Thanks again for the great work¡K

Regards-Albert

I've tested three of the lenses, 80T* on 500cm, Pentax 105 and Mamiya 80mm, black for c33. My results are very similar except for the pentax 105, which drops to a center resolution of 30 or less at f16 and f22.The 105 is fine at f11 or less.

Are you is guys using open electronic flash for your exposures to eliminate any possible camera movement?