FD 17mm F4 Questions

john_smithwick1

<p>I've been a long-time FD user; ever since I bought my first SLR - a new Canon AE-1. I've also been using Sony Nex cameras since they came out (you see where I am going here). I currently have the A7 and am looking for an ultra wide angle prime lens. I currently have the Tamron 17mm SP and the Tokina RMC. The Tamron is not great and the Tokina is not too bad, but I definitely see room for improvement. Can anyone offer opinions on the performance of the FD 17 F4? I'm hoping it may offer a boost in performance from what I have, but am becoming somewhat convinced that a native solution may be required for wide angle lenses.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

It should work well on FF digital bodies. I sold my FD 17/4 years ago & soon had sellers remorse but

lucked out & found a converted FD 17/4 to both 42mm & EOS mount to use on 3 different make digital

crop bodies along with my F1N. Used it mostly for interior architectural (mostly for distortion free) shots &

creative outdoor. Haven't used it in over 2 years but still a keeper. Many new AF WA digital are rectilinear

or distortion free.

<p>It works fine on digital bodies. It is not the best of the FD wide primes (I really like the 21F2) but works fine on digital. I have used mine on my full frame Leica M (240) and it works well. If you have strong light at an angle across the front of the lens then you can get coloured edges to the frame but this is a rare event and easy to avoid.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...