First time shooting event

t_tran4

Hi, I'll be photographing a bday party, which will be my

first event. The party will be held in a barn, therefore high

ceilings so I can't bounce flash. I'm going to assume

poor lighting also. I have two 600ex flashes.

Option 1: hook up a diffused flash to my monopod,

where the flash will be connected via TTL cord. I'd

basically hold the monopod flash at arm lengths to my

side while I shoot with my other hand. Was wondering if

that seems like a reasonable solution rather than a

straight on direct flash.

Option 2: mount a flash to tripod, and also mount 2nd

flash to my camera to use wireless. This setup might be

a bit more difficult to maneuver around.

What type of setup do you guys use given these

conditions?

Thanks!

<p>Not enough information.</p>

<p>Birthday Party for whom, Child or Adult?<br>

What camera(s)?<br>

What Lens(es)?<br>

How big is the barn?</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>General Comments:</p>

<p>as for option 1: a monopod is not required and probably is dangerous anyway.<br>

For most shots you will not require that amount of distance separation from the camera if you are diffusing the flash. <br>

I often shoot with 580's and a White <strong>Bounce</strong> Mitt (NOT 'diffuser') and an Off Camera Cord and I just hold the flash off to the side or over the top with my free hand: one's hand is better to aim the front of the flash head at the Main Subject, accurately: though direction accuracy is probably not as important if you are diffusing the Flash, but you might be wasting valuable power by using a diffuser.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>as for option 2: that might be good for a sit down dinner B'day Party to get some nice rim lighting across most of the room if the Tripod is high and in the back corner of he barn . . . but not so good if it is six year old Party and the participants are dedicated to ripping down your tripod installation as they storm the castle.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I frequently photograph barn weddings and use a variety of methods.<br>

<br />I have an off camera video light for the dance floor along with on camera flash with a bounce card - this is usually for later in the evening when light is dim to non-existent. When the sun is still out and the barn doors are open, there is enough light for the D4 to capture everything without using any flash or off camera light. </p>

<p>Keep it simple. Use a diffuser on your flash (whichever kind of flash you like). If you want to hold it off to the side and above at arm's length, do that -- I used to do that for years. But you don't need to put it on a pole. In fact putting it on the end of a pole makes it much heavier and tiring on your arm and makes it more likely you will accidentally hit someone. The easier thing is to put the flash on a bracket. Get one that keeps the flash over the lens while you turn the camera back and forth from horizontal to vertical I use Stroboframe but there are several models and also other brands. I like ones where the camera rotates and the flash stays in place rather than ones where the flash flips back and forth.<br /><br />If you want to get a little fancier, put your second flash on a bracket or clamp that attaches to something in the barn and use it to light up the background. But you'll need a radio trigger for that and will have to work out the exposure. Not something to try on a real job if you're not familiar with how to do it.</p>

Thanks for the various responses. I guess being able to

quickly adjust one's setup based on the lighting

conditions is key. It was very helpful and gives me

various ideas of how to better handle it. I will not use the

monopod and hold it at arms length. I'll take a look at

the brackets too.

@William, I have a canon 6D with 24-70 2.8L, 24-105

4.0L, 70-200 2.8L,17-40 4L, Sigma 30mm & 50mm 1.4.

It will be a 16 yr old's party sweet 16.

I'll probably start with the 24-70 and see how that works

out.

Thanks again!

<p>Thanks for answering some of my questions.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>probably start with the 24-70 and see how that works out.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sensible.<br>

With one camera only, aiming to shoot the whole event with that set-up is sensible: that also ‘keeps it simple’.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>The size of the barn is relevant as you mention only two flash units; and <strong><em>one only</em></strong> being static in one corner (option 2). Its working distance will vary depending upon the location of each subject for each shot.</p>

<p>WW</p>