Anyone else getting excited in anticipation?

kylebybee

<p>Assuming they eventually update the D7100, it's un-avoidably going to be pitted in the media against the Canon crop-sensor flagship model the 7DMKII.</p>

<p>........end of knowledge.</p>

<p>With Nikon, anticipation breeds boredom, but generates postings.</p>

<p>Having said that, how long did the Canonistas have to wait for the 7D upgrade?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how long did the Canonistas have to wait for the 7D upgrade?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not quite as long as the Nikonistas for the one of the D300(s) - and at least for the Canonistas, the wait is over. For the Nikon folks, it's over too - but for different reasons, I am afraid. Go 7x00 or go somewhere else ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...how long did the Canonistas have to wait..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>Canonites</em>. It's Nikonistas and Canonites. Nothing else adequately conveys the appropriate political/religious fervor of the C vs. N wars. This is one of the shibboleths that distinguishes the True Believer from the dabbler. Turn in your Nikons and Canons and get ye hence into the wilderness with the other pagans.</p>

<p>There should be little doubt that Nikon is going to update the D7100 to perhaps something like a D7200 in the coming months. Other than the special-purpose Df, the D7100 is the remaining model that is still on EXPEED 3. Even the D3300 and D5300 were updated months ago. The implication is faster processing and updated video capability.</p>

<p>However, the D7000-D7100 line is $1200 DSLRs, considerably cheaper than the $1800 7D Mark II. On the Canon side, the 70D is the close competition for the D7100.</p>

<p>Lex: Thank you for capturing the important issue in this discussion.<br />

<br />

Antonio: There have been times where it's certainly looked like Nikon has a very good idea of what Canon is doing (particularly around the D600/6D point, and the D700/5D2). This is, if anything, ironic - Canon make their own sensors, whereas Canon could probably find out what Nikon are doing by looking closely at the third-party sensor manufacturers, where you'd expect more leaks. Or maybe they just don't care.<br />

<br />

After releasing a D4s, D810 and D750 all with roughly the same pixel processing rate based on the Expeed 4, and given that they're all incremental improvements over the Expeed 3 (I'm curious whether something went wrong there - Expeed 4 is a small boost, and you'd kind of expect 4K to have turned up by now, so my paranoia wonders if there was a design that didn't work, and Expeed 4 is an emergency die shrink... but I know nothing), I'd be pretty surprised if Nikon turned around a 10fps, 24MP DX camera to compete with the 7D2 any time soon. And the 7D2 doesn't seem to have set the world entirely on fire with specs. My impression is that Nikon's DX team may be spending more time worrying about NEX, micro 4/3 et al. than the 7D, and are pushing FX as a differentiator. Samsung can (apparently, even though I'm an employee I've not seen one) get to 15fps at 28MP, with 4K thrown in - that's a big jump over the 7D2 in the headline specs. Canon can boost performance by pairing up Digics - the Expeed seems not to have that ability (or the D4s might have done something about the 14fps that the 1Dx can hit).<br />

<br />

Will Nikon update the D7100? It seems very likely. They'll probably stick in an Expeed 4 and do something about the buffer, and tweak the AF to D750 standards. Will it hit 10fps? That seems less likely to me. Or Nikon might go for a more radical redesign. But I'd really expect the major technology update to happen for the D5, and history would suggest that a pro sports camera will be timed for late 2015/early 2016 to head off the 2016 Olympics. Which is probably when we'll see a 1Dx successor too - Canon seem to have skipped Sotchi and the world cup.<br />

<br />

But Nikon have surprised me greatly in the past, and I'm terrible at this (I would <i>not</i> have called the 7D2 having a completely different AF module from the 5D3 and 1Dx, and don't get me started on the Df), so - as ever - "wait and see" is the only worthwhile response.</p>

<p>I have happily given up worrying or even caring, and just shoot FX. And crop if I gotta.<br /><br />The only new APS-C format body in my stable, now, is a dedicated video machine from Sony. That, and a Metabones widget to let me use all of my F-mount (DX included) lenses, and I'm having far more fun than I would be with yet another DX still camera. Besides, I've got a DX body built into my most recent FX body anyway. My D300 is probably getting mopier and lonelier by the month, but I'm unsympathetic. It's still there for gotta-have-it backup if other options fail, but FX and me and are getting along fine. And DX has moved over to video for me, on something that doesn't even resemble a DSLR (and shoots in HD at 240FPS, or can push 4K out to an external recorder!). Just not feeling very nostalgic!</p>

<p>I am deeply concerned about this. I shot a night parade the other day with a D4 and arghhh D7100. </p>

<p>I looked at the pictures and they seemed ok to me but I am no doubt missing something. Now IF I had a D400 or D7200 there is little doubt that my pictures would have looked way better in publication and I might just be looking at a Pulitzer now. </p>

<p>Since I have been a professional photojournalist for many years and am therefor at the very apotheosis of my abilities I think it is fair to blame Nikon for the fact that my pictures are not just not getting better. Now if I shot Canon and had access to the 7DMKII the other night as a backup to the D4 then who knows?</p>

<p>Nikon is failing in the marked and will obviously soon cease operations. That or they will start reading this forum and make a D400 before it is too late.</p>

<p>Ah Rick, did you not hear that slight 'snick' when you walked around the parade?</p>

<p>The trap closed...:-)</p>

<p>Wouldn't you just love to have a DX that would keep up with your D4, you know you like to have things work the same way, like where the dials are, the fps everything about the D4 you'd love in a DX, but just a bit smaller and lighter? Then your life would be complete and the Pulitzer is yours for the taking...</p>

<p>...or not.</p>

<p>....but if you're in a speed event, the 7DMKII will keep up and not hold you back where-as that slow, shallow buffered D7100 is just an anchor around your neck, holding you back...</p>

<p>....or not.</p>

<p>Who knows the future Obi Wan? What does the Alliance have to offer? </p>

<p>....or will it be the Dark Side?</p>

<p>Why should anyone get excited over <em>just another</em> new camera? Yet alone one that doesn't even exist yet.</p>

<p>This fervour, buying or feeding frenzy - whatever you care to call it - was never engendered by film cameras, and photographers certainly didn't hotly anticipate the coming of a new film to the market. What's so very wrong with the camera(s) you've already got that you need to hold your breath for a replacement?</p>

<p>And a Canon v Nikon war? Who declared that? - Grow up!</p>

<p>On the issue of "Fido sees something interesting" -- I think Lex has hit the core issue here.</p>

<p>It's not another Canon versus Nikon war -- it's about the crucial issue of how to abuse the other side.<br /> I've always preferred "Canonians" to Canonites, but then there are the Nikonians and the Nikonistas, so I just don't know where to turn.<br /> "All the more given the five times before" (<em>Young Frankenstein</em> IMDB) :)</p>

<p>I still shoot a fair amount of Nikon film cameras, but my digital heart is in the "Cannons". I have feet in both coffins.</p>

<p>Some generations from now digital cameras will be able to offer 1 zillion ISO and 500 fps offering photojournalists the technical possibilities to see a photographer winning the Pulitzer...at last!<br>

Sorry if this forecast isn't as precise as we'd like but at this point in time it is impossible to anticipate who will be the manufacturer to offer this wonder. :-)</p>

<p><em>Nikonians</em> is a useful one to know- very useful website at<br /> http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php<br /> with info on the "universal" Nikon F mount at<br /> http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility <br /> (of special interest to those of us who have large 'libraries" of non AI lenses....)</p>

<p>Hmm, Canadians or Sodomites, there's maybe something like a Hobson's choice.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>[A]re any other Nikonians eagerly expecting Nikon to answer with their version of a new DX machine?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have the D7000 and might someday get the D7100--but I almost always shoot full-frame.</p>

<p>So. . . at least in my case, I am not particularly enthusiastic about the entire issue. I do think that the D7000 series is perfectly capable, although I recognize that others may want the utmost in frame rates and auto-focus capabilities.</p>

<p>It's just, well, hard to get excited at this point about what will someday likely be only incremental improvements in the DX line. Now, if DX should come to be as good in low-light as FF is, then I would definitely start getting excited. I don't see that as too likely anytime soon, if ever.</p>

<p>I hear complaints about lens quality for DX cameras. I can only say that lenses designed for FF, though large, do wonderfully on crop sensor cameras. When I regularly shot Canon, I often used the EF 24-70 f/2.8 on my Canon Digital Rebel T2i. The results were stunning. I'm pretty sure that mounting a lens of comparable quality on a DX body would likewise be eye-opening. Yes, such lenses are bulky, but the results are sometimes quite astonishing. It is amazing what resolving power those DX sensors have.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>