Impact of leaf / focal plane shutters

martin_wouterlood1

<p>QG, my slightly small hex plate was <em>loose</em> in the QR lock. Using one that was to specifications solved the problem. With the undersize one, eppur si muove. The problem wasn't due to the leg set, it was due to camera and QR plate moving in the QR lock. The camera hung from the lens, the lens was attached to the hex plate.</p>

<p>Re wooden tripods, I'd swear that Berlebach used to cite a German testing agency's measurements of damping. Now that I need the citation, of course I can't find it on their site. Like you I'm aging and my memory is no longer trustworthy.</p>

<p>I did though, have a wooden Keuffel & Esser (a US company best known for slide rules and drafting equipment, I think I still have one of their slide rules) surveyor's tripod that rang like a bell when tapped. It was dreadful.</p>

<p>One has to be careful what one attaches a magic arm to. Tripod leg, yes, with my little Berlebach center post, no because the center post can move a little in the platform. If you look at Polidori's rig, you'll see that his magic arms are attached to legs. With my little Ries tripod (wood, again), attaching the magic arm to a leg is mandatory because the tripod has no center post.</p>

<p>I have a P67 and use a Bogen 3046 tripod with a 3047 3-way pan head. Shutter vibration is not a problem, especially wiith MLU, as it's a hefty combination that works perfect for the P67; I also use the same combination for my 8x10 B&J Grover monorail with no issues at all.</p>

<p>I have several fluid heads for video cameras. They provide smooth motion on two axes of rotation, but no cushioning effect against vibration whatsoever. I can see how fluid action would help for closeups (or long telephotos), because they eliminate any slip-stick action, which makes alignment difficult. Mine would not easily adapt to holding a still camera, but Really Right Stuff makes fluid heads with Arca type clamps, and Wimberly makes cantilever style heads for long lenses, also with fluid motion.</p>

<p>Most fluid heads have only two axes of motion, so they must be leveled externally for proper use. Furthermore, the load must be balanced, otherwise they tend to slip or flex a little when you let go, even when locked.</p>

<p>"making a mountain out of a molehill..."<br>

<br /> Ah, good...I was wondering how this might affect my macro.. ;>)<br>

<br /> Seriously, I for one have found much of this thread useful for my understanding, albeit somewhat morphed from shutters into supports.<br>

Nice 'mountains and molehills', btw David, though I like your falls and pool image most.</p>

<p>I agree the mountain on the molehill should be in the setup. A Gitzo Studex with an Arca Swiss monoball is overkill for most purposes, so when there's a weight gain, it's up to the task. Also the consistent commentary regarding the Pentax 67 shake issue, is an overrated issue. I even bought into this, and then I realized, I've never lost a shot yet because of the camera used.</p>

• 3 months later...