Speedlite 600EX-RT connected to Hama 6977 "freezes" after first flash

niels_van_velzen

<p>For microphotography, I use two 600EX-RT flashes. I don't really care how, but I want to fire them at the same time using second curtain sync. Second curtain sync is crucial for me. Canon does not support this sync type when there is radio or optical communication either between two flashes or between the radio transmitter and one or mor flashes.</p>

<p>Therefore, I have connected one flash using a hotshoe extension cable and the other is connected either via the hotshoe or via a PC sync cable to a Hama 6977 slave unit. Immediately after the first flash is fired, the flash connected to the Hama slave unit completely freezes and it does not respond to any buttons whatsoever. The only way to "fix" it is by either detaching and reattaching the Hama slave unit or by switching the flash off and on again. I experience this with the second flash in "normal", slave or master mode, but I need some mode where I can manually adjust the flash output (which is not possible in slave mode).</p>

<p>What am I doing wrong here and how can I solve this issue? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!<br>

Niels</p>

<p>I have no idea why the Hama stalls the flash. Canon's wireless transmitters STE-2 and -3 will not allow 2nd curtain flash. According to this <a href="/equipment/phottix/odin/ttl-flash-trigger-review/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/phottix/odin/ttl-flash-trigger-review/</a> link the Phottix Odin might do what you need. It supports manual and 2nd curtain flash but you'll have to check whether they are supported together. <br>

Also have a look at Pocketwizard offerings. </p>

<p>Niels, Ruben is right. I encountered this problem when using Sonia optical slaves. The slave plugs into a base unit that has a hot shoe and two PC connectors. Internally, these connectors are linked via diodes, so that one slave can trigger two additional flashes in addition to the one on the hot shoe. The hack that worked for me was to open up the base unit and electrically bypass the diodes (solder wires across their leads). I now have a base unit labeled "Canon" just for my 550EX. I don't know whether the issue is the same with your Hama equipment or whether the fix would be the same, but hopefully my experience might offer you some insight.</p>