nikon d3200 exposure indicator

melissa_powell2

<p>hi, I'm new to using my nikon d3200. My exposure indicator keeps flashing and points all the way to the left. It does this on all the modes A mode, S mode, M mode. My exposure compensation is set to 0 also. No matter what I change the shutter speed or aperature on all the modes it always does this. The pictures seem to be fine, not over or under exposed though to my eye. What am I doing wrong?</p>

The D3200 always shows the manually

set ISO in the rear screen. This does not

change to the slected ISO value the

meter has at that moment when it is in

auto ISO. Instead it has an "auto-ISO"

flashing indicator nearby. Caught me

out a couple of times. Basically for me it

is easiest to begin with to have auto ISO

running and only take it off for

deliberate long exposures. As you pick

up experience, then set it via the front fn

button and the control wheel. (First

selecting the fn button to ISO control

via the menus of course)

<p>Right. So if you've got ISO set to 100, you're telling the camera to be about as <em>insensitive</em> to light as it can be. Which is why you're seeing the meter complain about not having enough light. If you were in more light, or using a much lower shutter speed, or using a faster lens, you'd see the meter complaining less.</p>

<p>If you are new to the camera you could try P mode. This will let the camera itself choose a good compromise of shutter speed and aperture and will always ensure correct exposure (or rather the best the built-in meter can do in any situation). If you don't like the combination of shutter speed and aperture the camera has chosen you can change it with the command dial on the back and the camera will still ensure that the exposure is correct.</p>