Gridlocked in Album Production :-(

davidclick

<p>Hi from 3 degrees C York UK :-)<br>

I need to speed up my album production times, an average album is taking me two days to complete layout & design :-( Currently i use graphi studio software on my Mac and it takes me forever & a day before I hit the buy button.<br /><br />Is there any software or new approach i could adopt to speed up my production times. Ive tried adding Graphi plugins to Aperture Three but thats not worked. Specifically whats taking me eons is where for example I have 5 images on one page and spend hours fiddling with positioning. I know CEWE albums which are not in the same quality league have fantastic software to build albums, I've used it & I love the re shuffle feature which creates auto layouts for the number of pictures you have.<br>

Having spoke with a local photographer he uses in design and imports layouts, says it takes him max a couple of hours! <br>

Any advice on how to speed up album production much appreciated.<br>

Thanks in advance,<br />David</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi!<br>

I know how you feel! I was wondering how many pages and how many images is in your average album?</p>

<p>What type of design are you using? Is it a design with lots of pictures in pictures, fonts and effects or a more minimalistic design?</p>

<p>PS. Also, are the images to use already selected when you start the design or is that something you do as you go?</p>

<p>If you have a mac, check out SmartAlbums. It just hit the market and is getting rave reviews. Design a complete 50 page wedding album in 30 mins. However--it is not for someone who wants to fiddle with layouts. There are lots of pre-designed templates, but you cant modify them (that functionality may be added later).</p>

<p>http://fstoppers.com/smartalbums-the-single-best-black-friday-purchase-you-will-make</p>

<p>I know many get on well with photojunction (free). I spend 1-2 hours on an album design.</p>

<p>Besides workflow, consider cutting down on quantity. 150 is lot of images to go in one wedding album, assuming it's from one day. Try being more select, choose the most communicative images, rather than diluting them with mediocre. Of course that does also require you to take single images which tell the viewer a great deal, rather than a series of images which aren't good enough to stand alone, so easier said than done.</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Specifically whats taking me eons is where for example I have 5 images on one page and spend hours fiddling with positioning."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fiddling around is a direct result of indecision. IMO, no "Cookie Cutter" album template is going to be a substitute for understanding design principles. <br>

<br>

The Smart Album software looks excellent, and seems like it will speed up implementation for a basic style of album. However, I'd offer a caution to not be fooled by videos in quick time mode ... they are just making the decision making process look nominal ... probably done by an experienced Graphic Designer. <br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Fiddling around is a direct result of indecision. IMO, no "Cookie Cutter" album template is going to be a substitute for understanding design principles. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with Marc here. I'd add that this doesn't simply begin with the album designing. You need to see things in real life, translate this into a photo, and how this photo will fit into an album to tell the viewer something important. If you have a bunch of photos and then try to fit them into an album it will make for hard work. Regardless, it still shouldn't take you an hour fiddling with 5 images, indecision can be really cruel.</p>

<p>A couple of easy options...</p>

<p>1) Use QUEENSBERRY. They will design all of your albums for no extra cost. They aren't the cheapest album supplier, but they are one of the best. You'll never get a couple that is unhappy with their album.</p>

<p>2) Use COUTURE BOOK. A lot of the albums they do work well with the 1 picture per page layout method. Just upload and it poulates the album for you.</p>

<p>Worth a look.</p>

<p>Scott.</p>