Articles/Books etc on large format printing and gallery?

<p>I am looking at possibly setting up a small gallery and printing off my own, and customers, work.<br>

I can find a plethora of books on photography but not anything that covers the post-post-processing :)<br>

Does anyone know of a good book, article of web site that covers the steps to create a great gallery print?<br>

Specifically<br>

<br />1. How to choose the right printer<br>

2. How to choose the right papers/medium<br>

3. How to frame and display your images<br>

<br />I appreciate any help.<br>

<br />Steve</p>

<p>Hi, I don't know what your photo experience is, but if you are relatively new, this is a pretty steep hill to climb.</p>

<p>Since you refer to a "printer," I presume you mean something like an inkjet or other digital printer. I'm not going to advise on a brand or model - there are a number that are fine - but something you need to be familiar with is modern (ICC) color management. I'd suggest having a look at the book <em>Real World Color Management</em>. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-2nd/dp/0321267222/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383070657&sr=1-1&keywords=real+world+color+management">http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-2nd/dp/0321267222/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383070657&sr=1-1&keywords=real+world+color+management</a></p>

<p>Regarding print mounting and matting, etc., I think it's hard to beat Henry Wilhelm's book, available for free download here: <a href="http://wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html">http://wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html</a> Check especially chapters 11 and 12.</p>

<p>It might turn out to be more sensible to have your prints made by a knowledgeable lab, doing only the mounting and framing in your own shop. It depends largely on what you enjoy doing. But the two books I suggested will help you see what all is involved. Best wishes on your endeavor.</p>

<p>I have a wonderful 13x19" capable printer. But I use it so seldom that the cost per print is really high. I finally figured out that, at over $100 per load of pigment cartridges, the business of printing my own was not very practical unless I did a lot of it, which I don't and won't.<br>

I haven't yet tried the commercial printers, but I know that even in film days there were professionals (NOT Ansel Adams, natch.) who found hiring someone else to do the printing (with close attention to instructions) was the easiest way to go. Of course, taking control yourself is better but it can be very difficult and expensive.</p>

<p>If you will have a high volume of business, then it would probably work out, but the hard part is climbing that steep hill between a few customers and a lot.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input - we are moving to Malta and I am not sure of availability of professional local print houses so I was thinking of a 36"-44" inkjet in the $5k price range.<br>

I have been an 'enthusiastic amateur' for 3 decades - my work/job is computer technologies - but I am at a stage in my life when I'd like to spend more time enjoying my hobby and making a moderate living from it. <br>

I'll read the suggested books especially the one on color management.</p>

<p>Over the last few months I've been using an Epson 3880 (A2) as a do-it-all printer. I've been pleasantly surprised by how long a black cartridge lasts (about 6 months of printing 10 -15 pages of text a day), ink costs have been low and of course the fact that the printer is run every day means the heads never clog. There is of course the purchase price of the printer to consider. Naturally, if you want a 36" wide printer, the economics may well be different. In the days of wet printing, I NEVER felt I got a good print by anyone else unless I went and stood next to them - in the digital age, you can of course send a small guide print to a lab, but it's always a risk having big prints sent long distances by mail.</p>